TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
MiniMe

Default Is my TM ready for lithium?

I have a 2010 TrailMini 18L. I need new batteries and am strongly considering one 12V lithium ion vs two 6V AGMs. I called TM parts dept and they said the power converter in my unit is by WFCO Electronics, part # WF-8955-PECB. I would guess that all TMs probably have the same converter? Now, WFCOs website, if I’m reading it correctly, says the converter is already set to charge lithium batteries so I don’t need to do anything other than put the batteries in. I’m not entirely sure of this so has anyone switched to lithium using the existing power converter?
MiniMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default That's manifestly untrue.

Lithium batteries (in particular, Lithium-Fero-Phosphate == LiFePO4 == "LFP" want to be charged at higher-than WFCO charging voltage, and the WFCO chargers also sit in "float mode" until the battery is too severely discharged.

In my opinion (and I DO know quite a bit about this subject), the best chargers for LFP batteries are from PD, and also (especially) from Victron Energy. My experience is with older WFCO products, but they've always been lower-quality products - widely used by OEMs trying to get by on the cheap. The new ones might be a bit better, but I'm not going to risk $1100 worth of batteries being "managed" by a cheap controller.

The PD Lithium-compatible upgrade charger sections for the WFCO box are pretty good, but they tend to keep the batter charged near 100% SOC. In the case of long term storage (over winter, or through more than 1 week in the summer) you should not keep a PD Converter plugged all the time. Storing at 100% SOC for most of the time cuts the maximum lifespan of LFP batteries from roughly 7000 charges down to roughly 3500 (assuming no deep discharge events).

The "MBA WildKat" over at BestConverter.com is a slightly modified PD, (modified mostly in firmware, but also with a couple of bigger filter capacitors) and I own it. (And I've bought it for other people as well, I have an RV repair "Hobby".) It was significantly better than "stock" PD when I bought it, and may be better than even the newest PD models. The included "Charge Wizard" is of course useless with LFP batteries. It's here: http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-4655...te-_p_677.html

The Victron all-in-one power centers are the very best in the business, but they would require a complete replacement of the WFCO Unit. The MBA Wildkat is a 30-minute upgrade job, replacing just the converter section within the WFCO panel.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I hae just been reading...

Over at the airstream forums (where I also do some electrical advice, I've fixed an airstream with electrical issues) that the even the newest WFCO has two disastrous issues with LFP batteries:

(1) It falls into float stage at only about 70% SOC;

(2) The charging voltage has been measured, carefully, to be only 14.35 Volts. That's not enough to get cells balanced.

So I STRONGLY recommend staying with a PD, a WildKat (a modified PD, I've been using those exclusively), or a Victron. PD 4655VL and WildKat mainboards easily replace the WFCO converter boards in about 30 minutes, with only 5 wires disconnected and reconnected to the new Converter. (That's for a first-time replacement person. After all the practice I've had, it takes me about 5 minutes. )