TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Sharon R.

Default New Prospective Owner in Georgia

Hi all. Just starting to do my research and a TM or something similar sounds great. I drive a 2003 Astro van and am completely new to the RV experience, so ease of towing is most important -- along with price so I'll be looking to buy used. Also ease of setup as I will be traveling alone most of the time (though hoping to find a travel buddy). Right now the 2720 with the dinette seems best for me. I have noticed that there is a TM near me that I drive by most days, so I'm hoping to catch the owner at home so I can get a closer look! I'm heading up to Knoxville for a show this weekend and am delighted to find that the factory is only 30 minutes away, so will head over there.

Are there any other owners here that go to dog shows? That would probably be mostly what I'd use mine for at first, though I have a HUGE urge to just hit the road and keep going! I am pretty sure that I will take many more vacations than I do now with my room right in back!

Hope to meet y'all in person some day!

Sharon
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
beth14kk9

I also travel with dogs (agility and flyball) and one of my considerations is the interior room and how it would work with my girls (BC and Golden) and occasionally the husband around. It's getting harder to find a reasonably priced motel that doesn't charge an arm and leg for a pet fee in some areas we compete in and many that don't take pets at all. There are quite a few others on the forum that I've seen that travel with their furry family members. Also, I have an '06 Toyota Sienna, which is only rated to pull the smallest TM. I like the floor plans of the 2720SL and 3124KS, so I may have to figure out a new tow vehicle if I decide to get a camper.

Beth
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
2bcs1jrt

We have 2 border collies and a Jack Russell. We do Agility with the BCs. That is the primary reason for the TM. We have a 1996 2518 which used to be their smallest model (no longer made). We moved up from a bare bones tent trailer. Bought our TM from a fellow Agility competitor who moved up to a larger model. They had 3 or 4 BCs an a corgi in there. We have the beds on each end. It's a little tricky to walk around with the dogs on the floor. We usually make them hop up on the front bed where their crates are to keep them from being under foot.
We tow with a 1999 Astro. I'd say we tow around 4000lbs fully loaded and use a weight distribution hitch. Most of our trials are in California so not a lot of mountain driving.
My husband travels with me so thats 2 adults and 3 dogs (so far). I would go for a larger model if I had a choice. The folks we bought from went to a 2720 SL and tow with a Sienna. In a perfect world, Id go even larger still and tow with a full size van., but alas, this is not a perfect world and I still love my TM. As far as set up, I do it all while he walks the dogs.
Good Luck!
Cheri
Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Bob&Karen

While we don't show, we do travel with three Boston Terriers. We made the switch from a pop-up this past summer, and LOVE the TM. We have a 3124KS and the 'boys' have plenty of room. We tow with a Ford Expedition, which is probably the smallest vehicle I would be comfortable towing a 3124. Good luck!