TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
APerkins

Question Road Side Assistance

Anybody compared or have experience with road side assistance programs? For example, AAA vs. Good Sam Emergency Road Service. AAA has bailed me out on numerous times, but have no experience when it comes to the TM I'm going to pick up in February

ALAN
Old 01-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Factor

Default Roadside Assistance

We have CAA in Canada similar to AAA in U.S. and no, they do not tow the trailer. I was pulling a load of treated lumber to my cabin and the wheel fell off the trailer. Not the TM.

John in N.W.Ontario
Old 01-11-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
hal

We are using AAA in Colorado. We have a premium policy with them that costs only a bit more and does include the trailer. Each (or both) will be towed 100 miles or to the nearest repair. We also favored the Triptick feature provided by AAA. This is a neat little spiral bound book of maps that display sections of our proposed route plus point out interesting features along the way...... But AAA is no no longer providing this service. They will provide state maps and a booklet that lists AAA approved facilities. Both are free to members. AAA has come through for us on several occasions. The Triptick was important to us and made our tip a lot of fun. They still will trace your route on a state map and mark areas of concern along the route. I could do the same thing by visiting sites on the internet. So why do I prefer AAA. There is no reason and we are again comparing Good Sam (Camping World) services. Good Sam wins hands down in providing more than AAA and at about 1/3 less in price.

Hal
Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Senorsedona

Smile Aaa

Using Camping World or Good Sam Is the way to go. As mentioned in the other replies AAA is good, but not for RV's..Sorry to say I have used both. Good Sam & Campimg World, excellent service with either. It took me a couple years to convince a couple of my RV buddies. They finally found out they should switch.

Good Luck

Jack
Old 01-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default AAA is an association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
As far as I know, AAA is not consistent with its coverage. It varies from state to state. You may have good coverage in some states, virtually none in others...
TC has it hit on the nose. The reason is that AAA is an association of state auto clubs...each club has its own rules about what they will cover. The coverage offered for RVs varies tremendously from state to state...but many of the state auto clubs will only tow one vehicle; not both the tow vehicle and trailer...and some will send out only one tow truck to bring in both the tow vehicle and trailer.

Hal is right that within Colorado, AAA has pretty good RV coverage. Venture outside Colorado and the situation could be very different.

I actually have both AAA and Good Sam coverage. Good Sam covers my RVing and my motorcycling as well as general driving. My AAA coverage is somewhat redundant for general roadside assistance but AAA's other benefits (trip books, maps (especially city maps), and discounts at retailers) more than makes up for the cost. I get enough savings from my AAA card at Lenscrafters alone to pay for my AAA membership most years.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerkins
Anybody compared or have experience with road side assistance programs? For example, AAA vs. Good Sam Emergency Road Service. AAA has bailed me out on numerous times, but have no experience when it comes to the TM I'm going to pick up in February

ALAN
I will endorse all the comments made about Good Sam. That is our choice after comparing with CAAA about 5 years ago, and finding that in California they will leave the trailer at the side of the road while they tow the truck. Good Sam will tow both.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Heuvelhorst
I will endorse all the comments made about Good Sam.
I've had only one occasion to call Good Sam ERS. The guy on the phone (the national dispatch line) was an idiot, and sent the service guy to the wrong place despite my very specific description of where I was*. But the local guy he dispatched was pretty good, and found me anyway. Other than that problem, I was pleased - service was quick, the serviceman was well-equipped and polite, and we were on our way without undue delay.

Since I didn't require towing, our AAA membership would probably have handled the situation just as well, but I wanted to try out Good Sam.

*I thought it would hard to muck up "Westbound I-80, 20 miles east of Iowa City, Iowa, Exit 271, parked at the top of the exit ramp."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Simon3xUD

Unhappy Good Sam and pets

Just a heads up that Good Sam may leave you in the lurch if you travel with pets. Seems they think that people that show their pets are professionals and won't provide service if there's a hint of your pets being "show dogs" (or cats). I've heard that they sometimes fail to differentiate between "show dogs" and plain ol' pet dogs. Since my whole reason for buying the TM was to camp at dog shows, I just got the RV coverage added to my existing AAA membership. Here's hoping I never need it .
Old 01-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
APerkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon3xUD
Just a heads up that Good Sam may leave you in the lurch if you travel with pets.
Anybody found this to be true? We're going with Kuri, our Chesapeake and although she believes she's a people in a dog suit, not sure casual observers would agree. If the dog don't go, neither do we.......
Old 01-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
Senorsedona

Smile Pets

I have used Good Sam when I had my Grey Hound with me, no problems. In fact the driver checked to be sure the dog had water and was comfortable.

Keep'em rolling........