TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
davlin
TrailManor Master

Default Corner Latch Pulling Out

Any good ideas out there for (correctly) repairing a cleat latch that has pulled out? This latch was like this when I bought my used 3124KS (our second TM). I tried to fix it with over-sized screws and adhesive chaulk. Looked good until the first time we latched it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleat.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	8213  
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
happybeebob

davlin:
Put in a search for latch repair and that will bring up different fixes people have done.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

You do not say what year your TM is. If it is pretty old as in before 2000/2001 there may be wood in the frame that is rotten. If that is the case you will need to replace the wood in order for the screws to hold. There are posts on this site that tells you how to go about it. If you are not a site sponsor you may not have access to the posts.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Happybeebob, I did do a site search and the only "solutions" that came up were to 1. use bigger screws (been there, done that) 2. get tie down straps to go over the shell (really?) and 3. just don't use the latches. If you know of something else out on the forum on this, please let me know.

Countrygirl, should have included the year of my 3124KS. It's a 2007. After the first pull out of this cleat, I was able to carefully probe into the original holes (I didn't have the problem mentioned in forum threads about multiple drill holes) and determined that there is NOTHING behind the aluminum skin but styrofoam insulation. No wood, no metal, just styrofoam. That means that all the travel force working on that cleat is absorbed by the very thin outer skin. Once this area has been damaged by the cleat pulling loose, I don't think any type/amount of glue and different screws is going to work. Since this problem seems common to TMs, I'm hoping someone out there has come up with a more durable fix. I also sent the original problem to Trailmanor. No response yet.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Do a search for "corner latch".
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
Happybeebob, I did do a site search and the only "solutions" that came up were to 1. use bigger screws (been there, done that) 2. get tie down straps to go over the shell (really?) and 3. just don't use the latches. If you know of something else out on the forum on this, please let me know.
I sense your frustration with the "do a search" answer. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=latch+repair

Post number 3 from Reldma talks about cutting a new piece of aluminum, attaching it over the old holes, and attaching the latch to it. The best cure I could find!

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I've dealt with this issue more than once and am still dealing with it currently. Front corner is out like the OP. yes, you could attach a repair to the outside with a plate riveted, glued or screwed to the body and then reattach the latch. Or I've always felt you can use a backer plate from the inside. Given it a backer will allow you to use a machine thread screw with washer combo, right? I agree, the thin wall with insulation behind it does not allow a good repair base. The concept of using the wall thickness of both inside and outside skins with backer may be the approach I will test. There is access behind the bag seal on each upper corner. Open the roof and identify the area directly behind the corner latch. The older model TM have been known to pull out their latches much easier than newer units. Some of the pulled corner latches can be attributed to incorrect tension on the roof latches. You should not be pulling down the TM roof with the corner latch more than fractional. The latch pull itself does have an adjustment feature by twisting the rod on its threaded portion.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
davlin
TrailManor Master

Thewayneo, I tried your link, but it says I don't have permission to access it. Did a search on all posts by Reldma, and didn't find the one you referenced, but I've already come to the conclusion that the best fix is going to be to attach (rivet) a plate over the damaged area.

Rvcycleguy, I also liked your idea about the backer plate, and in fact used that for a repair on my old (1995) TM 3326. In this case, I'm afraid that the outside skin is so damaged that I would be putting all the pressure on the inside skin, and I'm concerned about warping or distorting that.

My son is a helicopter repairer, and he says they use this technique (they call it a "scab plate" on helicopters all the time. He's getting stationed here in July, so I may wait and let an "expert" do it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

You may try using marine tek as a filler than screw into it when cured
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post
Thewayneo, I tried your link, but it says I don't have permission to access it. Did a search on all posts by Reldma, and didn't find the one you referenced, but I've already come to the conclusion that the best fix is going to be to attach (rivet) a plate over the damaged area.
Davlin -- you will have access to that thread, and many others uncovered through a search (which undoubtedly will have pictures) if you renew your $12 membership.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...faq_membership

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote