TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
fairchance

Default corner latch catch pulled out

One of my corner latch catches pulled out of the aluminum. Nothing behind it for screws to catch on. Tried larger screws, but they just made the hole larger. I searched but can't find a fix for this.
thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This problem comes up occasionally. I think the concensus is two-fold. First, you can use something like well-nuts to re-secure the screws - or you can just use larger screws. But the bigger thought is that if the latch pulls out, you have set it too tight. I believe that these are considered to be simply safety latches, to control the situation if something goes awry with the main latches, where all the strength resides. They are not intended to be pull-down - hold down - snug down devices. When you get the main latches clamped, pulling down the corner latches should pull the shell down perhaps an eighth inch more - but not a lot.

If the corner latches are too loose, they may pop off as you travel, of course, so you may have to experiment a bit with the setting.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
fairchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
This problem comes up occasionally. I think the concensus is two-fold. First, you can use something like well-nuts to re-secure the screws - or you can just use larger screws. But the bigger thought is that if the latch pulls out, you have set it too tight. I believe that these are considered to be simply safety latches, to control the situation if something goes awry with the main latches, where all the strength resides. They are not intended to be pull-down - hold down - snug down devices. When you get the main latches clamped, pulling down the corner latches should pull the shell down perhaps an eighth inch more - but not a lot.

If the corner latches are too loose, they may pop off as you travel, of course, so you may have to experiment a bit with the setting.

Bill
Is a well nut same as rivet nut?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Not quite. A wellnut is easier - no special tools. You can search this forum for well nut and you will turn up pictures and explanations. Or you can search the internet, and go to any of the hardware stores that come up.

Start here, for example.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote