TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
pauloh

Default Air Conditioner shell cover repair

The plastic/fiberglass(?) cover on my rooftop air conditioner has a few cracks on one side (inherited from previous owner, see photo). I'm sure this'll get worse without repair and I've seen a few of these covers laying broken alongside the road in my travels...must be a common problem for them to eventually come off of RVs. Any suggestions on how to repair the vent area (those slats are cracked through) and also stop that crack at left before I lose part of mine, or should I replace that whole top part of the shell? If replace, do I contact the factory or is this a generic type of cover?

Have not climbed up there to take a really good look at potential disassembly. Newbie question: is it OK to walk on the roof of a closed TM? I would assume so but any precautions?

There appears to also be a small amount of damage to the AC's metal fins inside the cover, but I'm hoping that's not an issue. Since I bought this unit in early winter I have not been able to fully test the AC yet.

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110402-8958.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5715  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a trick for preventing a crack in plastic from propagating, and it may help here. Right at the pointy end of the crack, drill a hole, so that the crack enters one side of the hole, but doesn't exit the other side of the hole. This spreads the stresses that will otherwise cause the crack to continue to propagate. Obviously, this would apply to the crack at the left side of your picture, since the others don't have ends.

This trick works best in rigid plastic, like polystyrene, but may help here. It may not be a permanent solution, so I would think about screwing a metal strap across the crack. In your case, I would strap twice, once across the crack at the left, and again across the right end of the set of cracks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Bill's idea is a good one, I would add thin aluminum strips over the others and pop rivet them in place.

As for walking on the roof most members use plywood to spread out the weight. If your roof is like ours its Styrofoam about 1 inch thick with aluminum on either side.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

On our Coleman popup the cover started cracking around the bolt holes. I cut a rectangular piece of Lexan big enough to overlap the holes a couple of inches, removed the bolts, and drilled holes in the Lexan for the bolts. I might have had to get longer bolts, don't remember, but this held the cover on for the life of the trailer.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
pauloh

Thanks all, great ideas, I have some riveting ability and think I could do that. Plywood sounds like good idea for walking around on the TM roof...should check on some caulk while I'm at it. Appreciate the help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
LiveTicker

Quote:
If replace, do I contact the factory or is this a generic type of cover?
If you can't patch it:

Replacement Shrouds for Mach III Plus and P.S. Club Price: $139.99
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-and-p-s-/1830

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-shroud/16085

also if you don't mind used --- check Ebay, Yellow pages, RV yards, Craigslist for anyone parting out old RVs, etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Scottie Dogs

Hi,

I ordered 2 sets of AC louvers and they came in today, I will get them tomorrow and install them on our next trip. I have so many little wings broken I guess they just get bridle in AZ. using the air so much.

Is there a little TRICK to install the new ones? I will ask the dealer service dept. tomorrow, but not sure if they know the correct way to do it.

They are $9.95 each this way I can direct the air flow coming out better, I have 4 on each side broken. The picture is the way they are suppose to look...

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Louvers.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	6997  
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dogs View Post
I have so many little wings broken I guess they just get bridle in AZ. using the air so much.
I think those interior louvers must all get brittle in time, not very durable...I'm up north and same thing here. Mine will break off at the slightest touch and are on the long list for replacement. I don't have any tips on installing them as I have never done it, but if you get yours put in, let us know how you did it!

The issue I had earlier with the partially cracked exterior air conditioner shell was fixed for the foreseeable future by using white vinyl tape from the hardware store, you can't see it from 3 feet away and I suspect it will last quite a while. I cleaned the surfaces thoroughly before putting the tape around each cracked part.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dogs View Post
Hi,

I ordered 2 sets of AC louvers and they came in today, . . .

Dave
Dave,

Where did you order the replacement AC louvers? Mine also need to be replaced.

Thanks
Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Dave,

Where did you order the replacement AC louvers? Mine also need to be replaced.

Thanks
Dick
I got these at my local dealer (Dillon’s RV City in Apache Junction, AZ.) They had to order them from the warehouse here. If you search the number on the picture below you can get them cheaper but I don’t know what the shipping is, so I figure I broke even no big deal, I need them for the hot summer.

I asked the service guy and he said these are the only ones that Coleman uses. This is the unit I have http://www.amazonrv.com/ProductDetai...ID=272&MRID=75 Hope this helps.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	6998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Louvers.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	6999