TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default TM vs Aliner style

Good morning. I currently have a fibreglass Bigfoot, 19' trailer. Though I do quite like it, I have been considering moving to a pop-up type of trailer - hard-side Aliner (or similar style) or a TM. I am not a camper per se. I am in BC and my family is all in Ontario, so my trips tend to be in the ballpark of 5000 miles, round-trip. I have 2 small dogs that travel with me, so I require a "motel room on wheels". No where to board them, hard to find someone to stay at the house with them for 2-3 weeks so that I could fly.

The Bigfoot is a nice trailer, but with the price of gas these days - and it isn't likely to go down much, even when the Russian gas embargo is over - I am looking for something with a lower profile with less wind resistance while towing (the BF is like towing a 3000 lb sheet of plywood and my gas mileage goes from roughly 21 mpg to ~ 12 mpg). My TV is a 2006 4Runner SR5. Love the truck and it does tow the BF quite nicely - just sucks gas with the BF. I would love to be able to get the mileage up to closer to 16-18 mpg. I am not an aggressive driver and tend to keep my highway speeds to around 55 mph when towing.

I have never been in a TM, hadn't even heard of one until a couple of weeks ago when I started my search - not particularly common up here in Canada I think) but I am leaning toward starting a serious hunt for one.

I travel solo with 2 small dogs (sometimes a friend comes along for the ride, but I am mainly on my own). Can anyone give me some comparisons (good and bad) between the A-frame style and the TM? Noise? Temp control? Condensation? Potential for leaks? etc. I am willing to travel (to a certain degree) to see and pick up a good used TM if that looks like it would be a much better fit than the Aliner. Already think I would prefer the TM - more space in the same comparative trailer length, an actual toilet which, at my age, is a necessity - I don't want a port-a-potty in the middle of the floor, especially when I have someone else in the trailer with me (though I would convert it to a dry toilet like I did in the BF)

Thanks for the help.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote