TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
pauloh

Default Connecting my batteries, is this correct?

Bought my 2004 TM late last fall, this week it has finally warmed up enough to start working on it again.

Previous owner bought 2 new 6-V batteries just before selling TM to me, they have never been connected. I've been trickle charging/tending them indoors over winter so should be OK. But am only 90% positive (no pun intended!) about connections despite looking at the TM manual which seems ambiguous about connecting that ground wire. And it doesn't address connecting 2 batteries in series. Would someone please let me know if photo attached looks like I'm correct before I fry something? This will go in the battery box in pre-designated place on the tongue of my 3124KB.

Couple notes:

1. I did clean and re-connect that wire nut to the short red wire piece with the 30-amp fuse in it. Added dielectric grease inside the wire nut to make a good connection, I hope.

2. All the wiring from the TM exposed to elements is shedding an outer layer of clear plastic (see photo). The actual wiring insulation (black or white plastic) seems totally solid, not cracking or anything. I'm going with it unless someone thinks I have a serious problem here. Will put some wire wrap/protection around it once I'm connected.

3. I have a new CLIPPER BM-1CG BATTERY MONITOR which I will be connecting, once I see the battery system is functioning properly. The instructions with the Clipper seem very clear and I anticipate no problems. Got it routed/installed into the TM, just not wired into to these batteries yet.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9037batteryhookup.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	5853  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Pitbull

That pic is correct, two 6v batteries are connected in series. I would replace the wire that connects (between) the two batteries with a real battery cable.

Koz
Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
RogerR

If any part of the wire looks unusual I would replace it.

I did not see a fuze or (my preference) a self resetting circuit breaker in line with the battery positive. They are not expensive and are available at any autoparts store. Lack of a fuze can result in bad things including a wire fire.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
pauloh

There is a fuse inline with the positive wire, it's a 30 amp in a holder (part of the red wire in photo, near wire nut.) I am however looking to upgrade that, I don't like that wire nut on there (and a re-settable breaker sounds good), as well as replace that wire between the two batteries. Just want to see if the rest of the system is working OK first...making a list for the parts store! Thanks for your replies...any other thoughts welcome.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
RogerR

my book 2007 2720 calls for a 30 amp in line fuze. I would not go above that rating. Check your own manual before changing the rated size.