TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Bob&Karen

Question Water leaking

So, we went to the storage lot yesterday and set up thte TM to (1) pre-cool the fridge and (2) pack for the weekend. While placing the Velcro seals we noticed a wet curtain (door side) and water drops standing on the top of the Velcro seal. Where could this come from? This is a new 2006 3124KS that we picked up from the dealer two weeks ago.

Could there be a bad caulk spot on the roof? I really couldn't tell where the water came from. I don't think it came in around the window as the rain we had prior to set-up wasn't accompanied by wind, just a good steady rain for about half-an-hour. The curtain in question covers the 'big' window between the door and the smaller window beside the sofa.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

If you stored the TM in an open lot and had it sitting with the front end low then the water could have come in under the top seal between the front and rear shells. It would run downhill toward the front of the TM, go over the side of the rear shell and wet the front shell curtains. The curtains are between the front and rear shells when the TM is closed. Make sure the TM is stored level or with the front end slightly elevated.

The AC could leak water if the front end is lower than the back end. I had a leak under the AC on my unit. Coleman supplied an open cell foam gasket under the AC units during the 2002-2003 time frame. It was replaced under the Coleman warrenty.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
rockerga

It is "new" and like anything else these days portions of duties along the manufacturing process are forgotten or overlooked. Not picking on TM by any means but small things like this can and do happen. As Leon suggested set-up a seperate hose at camp and one of you spray your TM in specific spots slowly moving to another area while the other stays inside to see what happens.

My new TM had a break in the caulk bead at the awning above the door so water would run in-between it and the side wall right into my door - BIG PUDDLES inside. TM sent me a piece to put above my door to remedy at N/C. The last camp trip I went to show my outside shower to a tent camper (I had never used it) when it leaked everywhere upon turning it on (except at the nozzle end...) and come to find out it was a simple job of just taking the entire assembly off and tightening (Or should I say "connecting") the hoses behind the assembly (and using plumbers tape...)

These little things happen so just take a collection of everyday tools with you as any homeowner has laying around and enjoy your new TM. Things can and will break over time but most of them thankfully are as easy as the minor problems I have had. Both my "repairs" took less than 15 minutes each and where the simplest of jobs to accomplish. I am sure your leak is no different. TM is a quality built product we will all enjoy for many years to come but notice I didn't say "perfect," but what is.....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Bob&Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp
If you stored the TM in an open lot and had it sitting with the front end low then the water could have come in under the top seal between the front and rear shells. It would run downhill toward the front of the TM, go over the side of the rear shell and wet the front shell curtains. The curtains are between the front and rear shells when the TM is closed. Make sure the TM is stored level or with the front end slightly elevated
Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head! We camped this past weekend, with two evening rain showers, and no leaks at all. When we took it back to the storage lot yesterday (Sunday), we parked it with the front slightly elevated, so we'll see what happen.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
masterge

Anyone have wavy windo seals on a recently delivered 2007. Some areas the outsdie window seal was flush with the window, other areas it was wavy, and other areas it was pushed in under between the window and frame. I assume the white window seal on the outside of the TM windows is a secondary seal and that the primary seal is the actual seating of the window with caulking between the TM and trailer wall. Are my assumptions correct? Has anyone seen this "lack of attention to detail" on their TM. How should it look? I haven't had a chance to water check yet, but should next weekend.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Bob & Karen:

Since I fixed an obvious leak due to faulty caulking of the TV antenna, the only leaks I have had have been when the TM is stored, and that is because I neglected to raise the front end when storing closed. I believe your problem has been solved, as you noted.

George:

I have also noticed all of the window seal situations you mentioned in your post. Now, I try to make sure the seal is outside the windows and smooth it out if necessary. I am looking forward to others comments, because I'm also wondering if I need to go to that trouble, if the position of the outside seals is not important - or is it?

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
tangell

I washed my 2006 2720SL this weekend while it was closed. When I opened it up, I had several curtains and valances that were soaking wet. Some of the velcro seals and walls around these curtains were wet as well. How could this water have gotten in? Is washing your Trailmanor closed a bad idea?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #8
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangell View Post
I washed my 2006 2720SL this weekend while it was closed. When I opened it up, I had several curtains and valances that were soaking wet. Some of the velcro seals and walls around these curtains were wet as well. How could this water have gotten in? Is washing your Trailmanor closed a bad idea?
In order for a valance to be wet, it seems that water would have to get past the bag seal between the two shells. Were the wet areas in the front shell?
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Harry Womack

Default Roof water leak

The water is leaking in on the roof edge metal that runs the length of the shell. Where the roof forms a gutter on the inside edge of the metal is where it leaks. There is a small bead of caulk that seperates from the roof and the metal roof edge. You have to look close to see the crack in the caulk.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
tangell

Upon further inspection after opening up my TM, I noticed that two windows were not closed all the way to give a proper seal.