TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Fan howling

Our roof exhaust fan works great except for one thing: in the second speed setting after a few minutes it develops a high pitch howling, siren-like sound. This lasts a couple of minutes then recurs. It is an annoyance, especially at night, but does not affect the fans functionality.

I assumed it was some type of imbalance in the blades or other vibration from the mounting. Anyone have any suggestions for eliminating the noise?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

That howling is most likely a dry or bad bearing. Get it replaced while still under warrenty.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Scott O

When I read the title of your post "Fan howling" I thought you might be going to comment on yesterday's Rose Bowl game!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
That howling is most likely a dry or bad bearing. Get it replaced while still under warrenty.
Mike
Thanks - I'll get it done before the warranty expires. Any way to test that diagnosis myself, or will they just have to replace the thing?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I don't know of any way to test this. The motor is on the top of the fan so you can't get to it. If you can feel any abnormal vibration in the fan housing when it is howling, that may confirm the diagnosis. I have had several small motors that would howl, squall, squeak or vibrate from a bad bearing. Most of them spun freely by hand. The only way to check is to replace the motor and try again. I think this motor uses sealed bearings so don't let them put you off by oiling it.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Our roof exhaust fan works great except for one thing: in the second speed setting after a few minutes it develops a high pitch howling, siren-like sound. This lasts a couple of minutes then recurs. It is an annoyance, especially at night, but does not affect the fans functionality.

I assumed it was some type of imbalance in the blades or other vibration from the mounting. Anyone have any suggestions for eliminating the noise?
Rich,
Is your exhaust fan a "Fantastic Fan?" The unit in our 1998 2619 was. Fantastic Fan is a fantastic company. Call them at 800-521-0298. Explain the problem to them. Chances are they will provide you with the technical support and parts (most likely at no cost) to solve the problem, even if the unit is out of warranty. If it is in warranty, ask for Shelley Dunbar.

Of course, if your unit is still under warranty, and the dealer is located close to you, let them take care of the problem. Just know that Fantastic Fan is a fantastic company that really stands behind its products.

Good luck in solving your problem.