TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Smile My maintenance/upgrade list for my 2004 2720 this year...

All this year (5/2015)

It has been a while since we used our 2004 2720. Just a list of things I have done so far in case it sparks some maintenance reminders with others with older TM units.

@B&D hello from the past !

1. New tires, 14" for now on original wheels (all 3)
2. 2.5" lift kit (had it sitting in my garage for a while) Easy BTW
3. New interstate batteries
4. Grease wheels/bearings
5. New anode rod for water heater
6. Install radio/media player and install battery cutoff switch.
7. Replace sun damaged 14" vent, and re-caulk (or 100% white silicon to be specific)
8. LED replacement for all but two of the interior lights (two traditional lights seem to add a nice warmth vs the very white LEDs, and now I have a whole bag of replacement warm lights) LED warm lights are a bit pricey considering the extra traditional bulbs I have from replacement
9. Propane/explosive gas detector upgraded to CO/Gas detector (creative retrofit needed)
10. Fire extinguisher (disposable factory) replaced.
11. Replace old school telephone jack with a combo 12v by 2x usb plate. 12 volt jack accepts most 12v plugins vs the Winegard (still there).
12. LED marker light replacements (don't flame me on this _)
13. New Bargeman Taillight units. (incandescent). Retrofit the original TM backup reflectors.
14 Metal licence plate holder so the Bargeman taillight holder will not crack again and lose my plate again. Cut away the Bargeman connectors.

My gosh, she is ready to roll again!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Sound like you are getting the camping bug again. Sound like the camper is ready, how it's time to get out camping?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
madizzy8

Default new owner 2004 2720 sl

We just brought our Trailmanor home yesterday. It's new to us but is a 2004. What kind of things do we check for? We, of course verified that lights, water, stove etc were working. We know we will need to do a bit of work and cleaning. What concerns me are things like wheel bearings, brakes, axel etc. What should we check for? We purchased this from a woman whose husband was out of the country so her knowledge was limited. Is there a check list when buying a used Trailmanor? Total newbies here with limited knowledge of Trailmanor.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Love this forum!
Mary
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
logcabin

Could you explain ""11. Replace old school telephone jack with a combo 12v by 2x usb plate. 12 volt jack accepts most 12v plugins vs the Winegard (still there)."" Thank you.

2004 2720SL
2012 Toyota Tundra
logcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Welcome back!

We also haven't used ours much either in the last few years, but I'm getting it tuned up and stocked. Everything still works fine and the Trojan T-105's that we bought in 2003 still seem to be holding a pretty good charge.

I spent the last part of 2014 recovering from a bad fall and two broken bones; DH had a hip replacement last October. Didn't feel like doing much camping at that point!

We've ordered two new wheels and tires, sticking with 14", but aren't changing much else. We changed over to fluorescent lights in the dinette and kitchen area a while back and we don't really use the other lights that much. During the summer we mostly sit outside at night with the Coleman lantern playing cards and talking.

I am really looking forward to our first dry camping trip of the summer!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"sit outside at night with the Coleman lantern" - do that here in summer and would have a few million uninvited guests flying & crawling in.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizzy8 View Post
We just brought our Trailmanor home yesterday. It's new to us but is a 2004. What kind of things do we check for? We, of course verified that lights, water, stove etc were working. We know we will need to do a bit of work and cleaning. What concerns me are things like wheel bearings, brakes, axel etc. What should we check for? We purchased this from a woman whose husband was out of the country so her knowledge was limited. Is there a check list when buying a used Trailmanor? Total newbies here with limited knowledge of Trailmanor.

Mary
Hi Mary, welcome to the forum. You can find a wealth of info in the forum reference library
"Trailmanor information you won't find anywhere else". You can just look through the pages or use the "Search" tool at the top of the page to find something on a particular subject.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #8
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabin View Post
Could you explain ""11. Replace old school telephone jack with a combo 12v by 2x usb plate. 12 volt jack accepts most 12v plugins vs the Winegard (still there)."" Thank you.
Our TM came with a standard telephone jack (RJ-11) and a full size (wall switch size) plate for it. Seemed pretty obsolete so I ordered a replacement plate that had one round 12v plug and two 2a usb plugs to replace it with. I had to enlarge the opening a bit in the wood veneer to fit it, but it was not hard.

The Winegard 12v jack that came with out trailer is too small for some standard round 12v jacks (do a search on this forum). The one I installed will accept all standard car sized 12v jacks.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #9
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizzy8 View Post

Mary
Hi Mary,

Based on my recent update to my 2004 here is what I would recommend you look at. I am sure I am missing a few things though.

Tires -- how old are they? The tread may not be worn, but if they are older than 5 years (some say 3) you you may be on borrowed time.

Batteries -- get a battery tester or go to a battery shop and make sure they take a full charge and are not degraded.

Grease wheels/bearings -- You can get a pump grease gun with a zerk/EZ fitting at the local auto parts shop, and a tube or two of trailer/wheel bearing grease. Search YouTube for "How to Grease Trailer Wheel Bearings with EZ Lube Grease Cert" It's all there!

New anode rod for the water heater -- assume it has never been replaced and is gone . You can check first though by unscrewing it from the water heater. You will likely need a "breaker bar" and a large socket (I forget what size but I can check if you need). Part# is "Suburban 232767.

Check roof vents for cracks or UV damage and caulk seals around them. Use 100% silicon caulk. You may need to cut away the old caulk to repair -- check vents from the inside for water damage to see if you need to do this.

Replacement bulbs -- inventory your bulbs and have a few spares for each type. (I can tell you what I had on my 2004 if you need). They go out from time to time

Propane detector check -- you likely have a propane only leak detector, and not a carbon monoxide detector. Check if you have a CO2 detector or not. You can retrofit your propane detector to a dual unit, or just get a separate CO2 detector at your home hardware store and install it somewhere. Sorry, I am a bit of a safety fanatic when it is cheap insurance.

Fire extinguisher (disposable factory) replace, see above. You can check date on your current unit. Factory issued units are good for 12 years.

Check tire pressure before every trip -- under inflated tires get hot and then.....

My two cents.....

Kevin
Old 06-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Welcome back!

We also haven't used ours much either in the last few years, but I'm getting it tuned up and stocked. Everything still works fine and the Trojan T-105's that we bought in 2003 still seem to be holding a pretty good charge.

I spent the last part of 2014 recovering from a bad fall and two broken bones; DH had a hip replacement last October. Didn't feel like doing much camping at that point!

We've ordered two new wheels and tires, sticking with 14", but aren't changing much else. We changed over to fluorescent lights in the dinette and kitchen area a while back and we don't really use the other lights that much. During the summer we mostly sit outside at night with the Coleman lantern playing cards and talking.

I am really looking forward to our first dry camping trip of the summer!
Haha fellow Silverado friend!

Glad to hear you too are getting things ready to do some dry camping in your TM and are moving forward after some setbacks for both of you! Sitting outside and talking... that is what I like too. Let me know how your next adventure goes this summer! I will do the same

Kevin