TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
larrylifelines

Question Pilot? Traverse? MDX? Confused newbie

I have a new (to me) 2008 2720SL that I'm itching to use next spring. Till then, I have to get a TV, and I've been reading everything I can for relevant advice--not just here on the TMO forum (which is incredibly helpful), but at Consumer Reports (where I'm fortunate to have a friend and former colleague at their auto-testing site), RV.net and other sites, and friends and relatives who know more than I do about towing.

I thought DW and I had pretty much settled on a Honda Pilot. Its 4,500 pound towing capacity seemed adequate for even a loaded 2720, but the more I read and heard about wheelbase, stopping, and controlling issues, the more doubt I had. I know a decent-size pickup is the best answer, but, thing is, the TV will also (probably) be DW's day-to-day transportation as well, and she hasn't yet reached the point of seeing herself driving to the supermarket in a truck. Believe me, it's been a major accomplishment for her to buy into owning an SUV, coming from a lifetime of sedans (including her present 2004 Accord).

So we've been looking at towing-capacity charts, and as of yesterday, decided that maybe the Chevy Traverse--TC 5,200 pounds, WB 119 inches--was the way to go. We'd never considered a GM vehicle, but, with GM's improving quality and reliability, maybe it's time to do so. We may try to test drive one this week. They're pretty pricey, having been around only a couple of years, but we may have to bite the car-payments bullet to get something with enough muscle for our trailer.

I know folks here have asked about "what's the best TV" for years, but most of the responses lean toward "what's the best pickup". so I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else tow with a Traverse? Do you folks with a Pilot recommend it for towing? Help!

Btw, we live in New York's Hudson valley, but will want, at some point, to head all over the country, so mountain-climbing is a definite factor.

Thanks for any advice...and if anyone in the northeast has a suitable TV for sale, let me know.

[I've since bought a 2009 Traverse. Thanks for the advice. I'll post my experiences with this TV once the season gets going in the spring. -kf]

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote