TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
RCaerobat

Default RV Clubs and directories...

Well, I finally found a used TM that I could afford and I bought it (A '95 2720 SL). This is my first camper. I have seen a few clubs that offer discounts for campsites. Has anyone used the Good Sam or Happy Camper club discounts at sites in the Southeast? Are these nice sites and are there any catches (ie. blackout dates, etc...)?

Also, what campsite directories shopuld I get for the Southeast (KOA, Woodall's)? Any recomendations? I know nothing about this, so are there any other books that you would recommend?

Thanks, Emory.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
revmrbill

Default Re:RV Clubs and directories...

I have been a Good Sam Member for over 10 years and I have their ERS and have had to use it on a number of occasions and have had fantastic results, one occassion it was 2:00AM on I81 in Virginia in the pouring down rain, I had two flat trailer tires and they sent the state troopers and the wrecker all inside of thirty minutes. I think Goodals is the better of the camper directories, and I personally think Good Sam club has better discounts, this is my experience. Good Sam parks tend to be roomier and better kept than KOA's that I have been to, because most of them are privately owned and they are usually campers themselves.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Windbreaker

I go with Good Sam's also, 24 years worth. However I don't rely on their park guides, I use it but I also use others. In Texas there is a free guide called TACO. Great results with them, we've found many wonderfull out of the way camps in off the main road places.

Don't forget state park guides issued by each state. In Texas some have full hookups, some have camping but no hook ups. Utah has great parks, some with hookups, some not, Ark. same.

A few National parks have hookups, all have camping. Your taxes pay for these services, use the net and find them.

Also see if you can find the camping for free websites, there are too many to list. VFW, city or county parks have low rate camping. (less than $10) in most cases often with full hook ups.

There is a new guide out called "Best Campgrouonds in the US" Of the ones listed that I have used they are right, they are the best, but full hookups are not required for their listings. Also of the private ones listed they are often a little more costly that others in the area, what else would you expect for the best.

However! Sometimes the best delights and often good stories (good or bad) come from just finding one on a back road.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
Windbreaker

Something I forgot to add, checkout resorts, many have campgrounds that are not listed elsewhere. If you get on one of their mailing list you can get 3 nights or more just for setting through a half day sales promotion.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
RCaerobat

Well, sounds like most people seem to like the Good Sams club. No "Happy Campers" out there? I will look into the Good Sams. Also, I went ahead and bought a Woodalls guide book.

Thanks, Emory.