TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > For Sale Section > TrailManors Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Looking for an older TM in CANADA

Hi,
We're looking for an older model TM pop up,3124 preferably with KB, here in the western provinces of BC,AB,SK or MB. At this point in time due to border blockage we are unable to transport across from US to Canada.Please let us know if you're willing to part with your TM. brenda.turley@gmail.com
Old 07-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Site Sponsor

I know pickings in Canada will be slim, but try to find something newer than 2002 if you can. You should be able to find something with roof AC and aluminum framing, two of the greatest changes in the history of Trailmanor in my opinion. We have the aluminum framing, but the side AC doesn't have enough airflow throughout the camper to provide cool air to the ends of the trailer very well. Aluminum framing is the #1 thing to look for though.

And I'm sorry, we're not parting with ours!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Old 07-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all your great advice Larry. Found one we thought had great potential with aluminum, but the border got in the way! Can't go see it to purchase. Something will eventually find its way to us
Old 08-31-2020, 05:33 PM
Site Sponsor

Default We almost have a TM

Hi Larry,
Just to let you know we just purchased a 2009 3326 from a dealer in Denver. The pictures look good as that is all I have to go on other than their assurance everything will be gone over and it will not leave without furnace, air, toilet, etc working. It will be going to a storage place until we can cross the border and drive out to get it. Not knowing when the border will open, we thought this would be the safest and if we aren't able to get until the spring, it won't be an issue. The dealership will winterize and put the cover on it. Is there anything I should be asking?
We are thrilled to own and can't wait to actually get her.
Kind regards,
Brenda
Old 08-31-2020, 06:32 PM
Site Sponsor

Congratulations! Was that the one in Longmount? (I had to try to find it.)

If we had the space, I would have purchased a 3326. You have that much more room in the living area. Did the dealer give you any pictures of the interior?

Anyway, I have found that as long as you are handy, you can pretty much fix anything on these trailers. You have probably followed some of the amazing repairs done after some sort of damage occurred.

I had a thought that could be looked into. There is no ban on flying across the border. There might be a possibility of renting an SUV capable of towing a 3326 (I would try to rend an Expedition, Tahoe, or Suburban, or other full frame SUV). Some rental agencies will allow you to bring a rental across the border and there is no restriction to return to Canada by land. I suppose you could do the crazy thing and buy an SUV down there and import both a trailer and SUV.

There is a guy in the US who is returning Canadian owned boats moored in the US. He takes his bike along, takes the boat to Canadian waters, then cycles back. He's returned dozens of boats this way.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 AM

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

If you know of a rental agency (or how to find one) that is willing to rent an SUV to tow a TM-size trailer, please post the info. The issue is often the electric brake controller, which is legally required. A newer SUV or pickup may have a built-in brake controller, which might be an acceptable solution. My middle-age (2014) F-150 has one, and it works well.

Bill
Old 09-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Site Sponsor

Also, if the rental agreement prohibits towing, and you tow and get into an accident, you could be on the hook for a lot of money, as insurance policies that provide any coverage to rental vehicles only do so if you adhered to the rental agreement.

Hiring a hauler as Larry suggested is another option.

Dave
Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Site Sponsor

I realize that renting something as a tow vehicle comes with a whole host of issues that would need sorting out. I was just suggesting a possibility that could be looked into.

A quick check on the U-haul site and I see they advertise that you can tow with one of their vehicles. Bringing across the border might be another issue though.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Site Sponsor

And I just saw a U-haul with USA plates up here in Canada.

Of course, the big question is is it worth it? They would likely be required to self isolate for 2 weeks upon their return. Being a 2009 model they would have to have the trailer inspected upon import, a process that would be more difficult if self isolating.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 09-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Site Sponsor

Hi all,

We've arranged for storage at an RV place until we're able to cross the border and the roads are good for driving. We'll have to self isolate for 14 days, but have 45 days to get an inspection done. The inspection won't be costly (~ 20 CAN). Canadian Tire has the market on trailer inspections... We've contacted Customs for the RIV form and found the 2009 TM did have a recall. We contacted TM HQ and Jake said it was on silver TMs due to there being a problem with the paint, but we are a white one, so no issues. The RIV application is $310 + applicable taxes.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. We'll look into the winterizing on this site and forward to the RV sales. Thanks for that suggestion, Bill.
We can't wait to be able to bring her home, update and camp!

Here is the link for the trailer Larry. Pictures of exterior and interior. I didn't pay the asking...
https://www.windishrv.com/product/us...ing-1014429-29

She looks well taken care of, but this is with novice eyes. Please let me know if you see something so we can address with vendor.
Kind regards,
Brenda
Closed Thread

Tags
3124kb, canada, tm popup