TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
rvmi312

Default "Real" Weight of 3124

We are shopping for a used 3124, KS preferably, and will also be buying a tow vehicle. My questions are: 1) what is the actual weight of a 3124 without personal effects, which I can tally up, and 2) how close to real will the "only 1 gal of gas/100miles" be on my mileage. I know individual vehicle has a strong bearing but an Elkmont will force you down to 10mpg towing. What would a 3124 mpg loss look like by comparison? My quandry is I don't if, for example, a Ford Flex is OK or do I need the higher rated (and lower mpg) Explorer.

Thanks in advance and we looked forward to joining you all soon as TM owners.

Jim in Michigan
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmi312 View Post
We are shopping for a used 3124, KS preferably, and will also be buying a tow vehicle. My questions are: 1) what is the actual weight of a 3124 without personal effects, which I can tally up, and 2) how close to real will the "only 1 gal of gas/100miles" be on my mileage. I know individual vehicle has a strong bearing but an Elkmont will force you down to 10mpg towing. What would a 3124 mpg loss look like by comparison? My quandry is I don't if, for example, a Ford Flex is OK or do I need the higher rated (and lower mpg) Explorer.

Thanks in advance and we looked forward to joining you all soon as TM owners.

Jim in Michigan
The statement, "only 1 gal of gas/100miles" seems to be pretty accurate for most reports here. I have towed with 4 different vehicles and that seems to be fairly accurate.

The weight issue is a different thing. Our 2720 weighs 3930# on the scale and it is just 2 of us and not a lot of gear. I would fully expect that a 3124 loaded for camping could easily weigh well over 4000#.

I would recommend a TV that has a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Ratio) that leaves enough capacity (after subtracting the weight of the fully loaded TV) of ~5000#.

Pay little attention to the tow rating on the TV. Of course, it must not be exceeded but it means little as to what the fully loaded TV is able to handle.

I would not consider a Ford Flex as a viable tow vehicle for a 3124 TM.

Here are the standard specs on the Flex (as per Cars.com)

Curb weight 4,468 lbs.
GVWR 5,970 lbs.
Towing capacity 2,000 lbs.
GCWR 6,900 lbs.

If you subtract the 5970# GVWR (which could be expected while loaded with passengers and cargo for camping) from the GCWR of 6900#, that only leaves 930# for a fully loaded trailer. As you can see, that tow capacity is not helpful in that case.

The 118" wheel base could be an issue as well. I don't know if a Flex allows a weight distribution hitch but it would be essential with that short WB. I would recommend a TV with a 135+" WB.

It should be mentioned that the Flex may have an available tow package but I can assure you that it would not safely accommodate a 4000+# trailer.

Many people on this forum tow with the Exporer. I won't comment on that but I'm sure that others will. I'm just a diehard "Truck Guy"......
Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Hi Jim - welcome to the forum. Others will no doubt chime in and give you other data points, but I can give you my experience as a starting point. I have a 2003 3142KB so a KS may be a little heavier with the slide out. I weighed my TM before the camping season last year. It weighed 4240 lbs. That included pretty full propane tanks, two 6 volt golf cart batteries, and most of our regular camping gear that we leave in the trailer. It did not include food or clothes or water.

My recomendation for a tow vehicle is to look for one with at least a 5500 lb towing rating. Keep in mind there are lots of factors involved in computing what a particular vehicle will tow. and there are some threads here that deal with that ad nauseum.

I normally get 16-17 mpg in my Durango on the highway. When I tow I get around 11-12 mpg. I think the "1 gal/100 miles" figure may apply to some of the smaller versions, but based on my figures, I'd use 5.8 gals at 17 mpg, and 8.3 gals at 12 mpg.

The key to better towing (and maybe mileage), IMHO, is higher torque. My 4.7 L V-8 is not very "torquey" so I have to get the RPMs up to get the power I need. A HEMI would help!

As for the FLEX vs the Explorer, I'd opt for the Explorer. The FLEX with the top "eco-boost" V-6 engine and towing package rates at 4500 lbs although I've read that it will go up to 5000. The Explorer (according to Trailer Life tow guide) tops out at 7115 with the 4.6 L AWD version.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Alan
Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
ferdoh

Last summer we weighed our f150 and 3124 loaded with water and all of our camping stuff, 2 adults and 2 kids @ 10,250#. I think the truck mt weighs about 5k plus 500# humans= about 4750 for the TM
ferdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdoh View Post
Last summer we weighed our f150 and 3124 loaded with water and all of our camping stuff, 2 adults and 2 kids @ 10,250#. I think the truck mt weighs about 5k plus 500# humans= about 4750 for the TM
Depending on what cab/bed configuration you have, and whether it is is 4x4, it might weigh a bit more than 5000 lbs. With me in the seat (200 lbs.) a bed liner, TracRac rails, the WDH hanging from the rear, a small toolbox, 1/2 tank of gas, and small misc. items stuffed into the cab cubbyholes, my 2006 F150 4x4, Super Cab, 6.5' bed weighs in at 6000 lbs.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Bob&Karen

I've never weighed our 3124 while loaded and on a trip but I would guess upwards of 4500 - 4700 pounds. The mileage we get with our Expedition varies with the terrain while towing. Not towing, we get around 17 - 18 mpg on the interstate (15 - 16 mixed interstate/in-town) and average 13 - 15 while towing. Note that is an average. When we towed across the Rockies on I-70, the mileage dropped to around 11 mpg (actual calculated - don't rely on the trip computer). And, except on flat land, I tow with overdrive off (trannies are expensive to replace).

Overall, I'm happy with our combination. I wouldn't, however, want a smaller tow vehicle for our current TM.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
rvmi312

Default Update on Real 3124 Weight

To all of you who have responded, Thank You!, for the valuable info. What I knew but failed to mention is that my wife and me live in a condo. The garage is a very small 2-car and the approach to the garage even shorter than the inside. Hence, I cannot utilize a p/u or other long TV, just won't fit in the space inside or out, available. Kinda stuck with an suv of some sort that is pretty short. Also as a Ford retiree I would be crazy to consider other new TV's as I get the retiree discount.

Since the Ford Ranger is so old and out of date, dunno, maybe a used Ridgeline could work as well. That is what I am wrestling with. Maybe we will just have to accept a 2720 for the lower weight. Frontal area will be the same regardless.

Thanks for your input.

Jim in Michigan
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Bob&Karen

FWIW, the 2720SL is the one we originally went to the dealer to look at, but when DW saw all the extra storage and counter space in the 3124KS that's the one she had to have. Also, I'll have to say, the king-size bed is nice...

Good luck,

Bob