TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question replace mirrors with cameras?

Well it has been a long year here. But we are vaccinated and hoping to travel again! Seems like I always have to have a project. So this is my latest idea. I have never been totally happy with my add on side mirrors.

There are lots a lot of cameras out there now for a lot of things. I am thinking about trying to figure out a way to do away with my add ons by using cameras. Has anyone explored this possibility? I did a search but maybe I missed something.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:08 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

What kind of add on mirrors have you been using?

I went with the McKesh mirrors that were recommended to me by several here and I have been very happy with them. I don't think most other add on mirrors would extend out far enough for me to be happy.

I think you'd need to have at least 3 cameras set up to make a camera system effective. You'd need one down each side to see who is beside you, and one at the back to see what's behind you.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I am thinking about trying to figure out a way to do away with my add on [mirrors] by using cameras. Has anyone explored this possibility?
It is an interesting thought. My first thought is - what kind of display screen do you envision?

In situations where you have time to study what is going on in adjacent lanes, that's great. But the real point of a mirror is that it is available instantly, whenever you need it. A quick glance shows you what you need to know, and you can immediately refocus on the view ahead. A camera setup would have to provide the same utility.

If you have two cameras and a dedicated display screen for each camera, you could do the same - and maybe do it a bit better than with mirrors. But if you want to have only a single display screen, how do you set it up? You can switch the screen between the left and right cameras, either manually or with a timed switcher. But what do you do if the screen isn't showing you what you need at the moment you quickly need it?

Or you could split the screen, and show both cameras at once. That works well, but it calls for a big screen to get a useful view. Do you have space for a big screen? If you try to do a split screen presentation on a small screen, like a single smart phone, my guess is that the result will be pretty poor. Perhaps you could use two smart phones, side by side? Used smart phones with no phone function can be quite cheap, and might be a good solution.

The question of where to mount the screen is interesting. Your instrument panel doesn't have much open space, I'm sure. Putting it down on the floor in front of the console isn't a good idea. And you can't put much on top of the dashboard without blocking some of your view through the windshield.

The question of mounting a camera is interesting, too. It would need to be mounted just as far out as a mirror in order to get the same view. So you still need a frame of some kind, extended out from the side of the vehicle. Of course the payload at the end of it is much smaller and easier to adjust, which is a distinct advantage.

So on the grounds of immediacy, I see a problem with adjacent lane cameras. I need to think about more elegant solutions.

On the other hand, a single camera aimed behind the trailer would be very useful. Mirrors don't work back there, of course, and a rear-facing camera and dedicated display could be a great addition.

So I'm not convinced either way - but there are certainly some interesting questions to be considered.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Something like this might work:
https://tailgatecamera.com/collectio...irror-3-inputs

It is a replacement rear view mirror that is a dual LCD screen. If I were to replace my side mirrors, this is the type of screen I would use. It doesn't use any extra instrument panel real estate, and I suppose it could be wired so it is on all the time while driving (on with the key on). The one I linked takes 3 inputs. One input could be from the rear of the trailer, the other two would be from the side. The problem is where to place the two side cameras. They would need to be far enough out so you could see the same point 200' behind the trailer as required by several state laws. I don't have a good answer for this.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 04-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I just got thinking about this yesterday and this is the first setup I found that looked like it might have possibilities if it were wireless. I see there are some that are wireless backup cameras out there. I think placement needs to be worked out and it would be helpful to have wide angle. I am thinking most of these are wide angle though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-Wate...ll&athena=true

I just found this but the price is way out there for me. The mounting they show for side is on the trailer, hmm that might work with wide angel lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Back...ronics&sr=1-24

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

These guys are pricey, but they sell good stuff:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...up-camera.html

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 04-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have some experience with this. Our Honda has a camera on the passenger side mirror, and it turns on automatically when the right turn signal is activated, displaying its view on the car's 8" screen in the console. I don't really like it very much. The video quality is good, and it does provide a pretty wide angle (80 degrees), but there is a slight (maybe half second) delay between when the signal is activated till the time the picture appears. It doesn't seem like alot, but compared to simply looking over there, which is instant feedback, it's very noticeable. Also, what you can see in the video is pretty limited at night, when headlights essentially blind the camera, which just doesn't have nearly the dynamic range as the human eye. It's good enough that I can see two headlights, but it's not nearly as good as a mirror.

But ultimately, I think the biggest thing -- even after 2.5 years of owning the car -- is that I still find myself looking out the front passenger window, and even the rear one, to look for blind spots. So ultimately, the camera is distracting, because it just adds one more thing I have to check without really adding much (if any) confidence in making the lane change. I personally would prefer a regular mirror and a convex mirror, and that's also what I have on our TV when towing the TM.

Here is a link to a video of it in action:
https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2021...nda-LaneWatch/

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been self imposed house bound for the last year and not paying much attention to the site. It is nice to see it is still up and running and bright minds still participate.

I started thinking about this when I went to have the broken passenger side mirror replace on the Tundra. I was going to have it replaced with a tow mirror but found out they don't make one for the Tundra. Mine came with a tow package and didn't have a mirror that worked on its own for towing. This seems kind of strange to me but it is what it is, so it got the DIY mind going. The more I think about this idea the less I think it has much merit. I thought there might just be something on the market.

Tires are 5 years old now and batteries 10, so I think I will put my energy into getting those things taken care of. Hope things keep getting better so I can look for you all on the road and in the campgrounds.