TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
lizzyirv

Default Cassette Toilet

I’m seeing in a lot of posts the upgrade to a cassette toilet. Please explain the difference between what my trailmanor came with and the cassette toilet. Also what exactly I would need to do this and approx cost. Thanks Much
lizzyirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I don't know much about the cassette toilet, so I won't go into the differences here. But, I will tell you there are a couple of camps (no pun intended) of owners here. Some believe the recirculating toilet should never have been used in the trailer. Others are very happy to have one.

Many of the recirculating toilet issues have been solved. The number one issue of smell has been pretty much eliminated by a fairly simple vent installation. I'm using my phone so it's too difficult for me to post a link, just search for Flyboy and vent, and you should find the link.

If you do wish to replace the toilet, there are lots here who can help you. Please though, consider both the possibilities of replacing or modifying the recirculating toilet.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'll second Larry's thought. Please don't think of replacing your toilet unless you feel you really need to. Use it for a while first.

Most of our members, including me, are happy with the Thetford. Those who are not seem to be split between those who find an objectionable smell, and those who simply object to an "Ick" factor. The "Ick" factor is hard to deal with. However, there are several things to do to reduce any smell problems.

1. Use a good deodorant. You may need to experiment to find one you like. My wife and I have always been satisfied with Thetford's CampaChem Original Formula liquid. Because it has worked for us, we have not tried other brands, or dry powders, or any Eco formulas.

2. Use a full dose - don't try to economize. For us, a half bottle (4 oz) is OK for a quick overnight stop, but a full bottle is better for any longer.

3. Flush long and hard - maybe 10 seconds after everything in the bowl has been swept away. The toilet is not like a household toilet, where a quick push of the lever is all that is needed.

4. Keep the toilet lid closed!

5. Keep the bathroom door closed if you have any problem.

6. Use the bathroom vent fan for a short while if you have any problem. It uses almost no electric power, so shouldn't be a problem even if you are boondocking.

7. Consider Flyboy's toilet vent fan that Larry referenced. Find his writeup at
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19938

A few members have actually done their own installation of a cassette toilet, or a flush toilet with a built-in tank such as the SeaLand M-28. You can find their very good and helpful posts by using the Forum's search tool. The job is not for the faint of heart.

Finally, you may run across information or specs from the factory saying that a cassette toilet will be an option in the new TMs. My info says this is not going to happen, at least not right away.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I have successfully swapped my Thetford for a cassette (Curve). There were a few reasons for my decision, but smell, interestingly enough, wasn't one of them.

If you have any minor skill with a saw (to build a small platform) it's actually an easy swap. I posted to a thread somewhere about it, but basically you just need something to cover the left-over plumbing in the floor, and that's it. There's a base plate that just screws down to the platform, and then the Curve locks onto the base.

Yes, it does mean I have to manually tote the base to a toilet once per trip, and once when I get home, as the cassette usually lasts my family of 4 around 4 days-ish, whereas I would get 5-ish out of the Thetford. But I have the freedom to dump into any toilet, or pit toilet, or (carefully) sewer outlet that's available without having to resort to a "blue boy" or moving the TM. This means, when we have an outing with multiple kids or families and we are the only ones with a camper, we can let the kids all go potty in our rig (usually at night) so they don't have to track down to the outhouse/bathroom. There were some trips where I was very, very close on filling the Thetford, and now that is a non-issue. Plus, we've found it easier to keep clean since the whole unit can be removed.

As mentioned above, there are many who don't want to tote--and I now don't have that as an option. There's always a trade-off with everything, but for me this was the right decision and I don't regret it for a second. It all really depends on your use of the TM and your desires as a camper. But it isn't a particularly difficult install/swap so I wouldn't let that deter you.

I would take the above advise and try the Thetford for a while before making the decision. It took us more than 5 years before we decided to swap.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I never used the original flush toilet when I got my TM. Not all state camp grounds have dump stations and I was used to a small cassette toilet from my popup days. So I was good with moving to a larger cassette. Thetfords 92853 Porta Potti 550P model. I used that for several years, but moved up to the version of cassette the factory was offering. That worked great until a fresh water line split and the OEM told me that I would need to replace the toilet. So I now have the newer version of cassette, C223-CS Cassette Toilet.
The hardest part was cutting a hole into the side of the camper. That is not for the faint of heart. I was really worried about leakage, but than realized with the shells closed I didn't need to worry about that.
I like my setup, if works for me, it may not for others, and that's ok. I would agree with Bill and Larry, give yours a try before spending money.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote