TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
lsperingo

Default Honda Odyssey (minivan Q@A)

Hello all,

I am picking up my first TM this weekend (2005 2619) and I am going to be towing it with my Honda Odyssey. This is my first rv and I would like some feedback from anyone who tows with a minivan. I know the TMs are made light weight, but has anyone found it diffcult to tow or have had problems with their minivan. I have been reading this forum and I have to say it is pretty comprehenssive site.

Thanks,

Louie
Old 10-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Jim-NY

Louie,

I think you should be fine on the east coast. Early in my learning curve here I found out that elevation makes a big difference in towing capacity. I am pulling a 2720SL with a Honda Ridgeline. At lower elevations it has pulled real easy. I have not taken it to the Rockies or anything above a few thousand feet yet, but I have been forewarned it might be marginal at high elevations.

You will want a WDH.

Use the search function on this forum to find more information. Here is a thread I think you may find helpful.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=Odyssey

Jim
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
lsperingo

Jim,

Thanks for the info. This will help me with my towing. My wife and I have to drive to Hyannus Mass to pickup My TM. Its about 175 miles from my house. This was the closest dealer to us. The dealer is installing a towing package on the van. I will call tomorrow and find out what that package comes with.

Louie
Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default When you get there........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperingo
Jim,

Thanks for the info. This will help me with my towing. My wife and I have to drive to Hyannus Mass to pickup My TM. Its about 175 miles from my house. This was the closest dealer to us. The dealer is installing a towing package on the van. I will call tomorrow and find out what that package comes with.

Louie
.......check the actual trailer empty weight. Step in the entry door and look at the area immediately to the right, next to thr door hinge line. Just above the flap which covers the horizontal ledge/surface, you'll find a data card containing all appropriate weights. This is where you find what optional equipment has done to the ready-for-the-road weight. If you add the empty weight + propane weight (40 lbs) you'll know exactly what you are dealing with . You'll probably be surprised (dismayed) at how much closer to 3500 lbs the actual emty weight is than the approx 2700 lbs per specs.

I'd guess around 3000 lbs. Then add the weight of battery. That's left up to the dealer to add. If one scans the standard amenities and optionals on the TM website, you'll not find a battery listed. So, allow another 50-60 lbs. That leaves about 450 lbs for your stuff.

I used to take one Captain's chair out of my Ody (55 lbs), and leave the trailer arm chair behind. Then I built a frame to mount the 2nd Captain's chair so it could be used in the trailer after setting up the destination. Much, much better than the OEM chair. Swing-away armrs, recliner, headrest, etc. Anyway that saved another 100 lbs or so.

Suggest you check your Ody's Max Combined Gross Weight (MCGW). On my '01 ODY it was 8160 lbs. Hence the reason for attention to weight reduction. I have no idea what the MCGW of newer Ody's is - but it's worth looking into. I learned quickly the importance weighing my rig when taking extended trips (more stuff). No probs for weekends.

HTH - Denny_A