TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
whbob

Default 15 inch spare tire storage on 2008 2720

I have replaced my 14 GY Marathons with 15 225 Maxxis. The spare carrier will not fit on the lip with the larger tire. How are others handling this. My first thought is to bolt the carrier below the lip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Scott O

Custom RV in Anaheim CA did the 14" to 15" switch for me. They needed to replace the carrier bolts with slightly longer ones. This is the way the 15" tire models are coming from the factory now. Required a bit of welding, but otherwise no big deal.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Two approaches here.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5828

I think if you use the Search tool, you'll find at least one other.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
whbob

Default Spare storage

Scott, can you describe what they did in more detail?
I currently have the carrier attached under the bracket with two high grade bolts. This gives me about an inch of additional clearance. My concern is - is this strong enough. Instead of resting on the L shaped bracket with the 2 safety pins, I used bolts to attach the carrier to and below the bracket.
Before I start cutting and welding as others have done, I just want to evaluate the different alternatives including my present method.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
RogerR

I am thinking about going to 15 inch tires. Could I just keep the 14 inch spare? the trailer might be a tiny bit lopsided but it would only be to the next repair or replacement tire store.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Roger -

I see no reason not to keep a 14-inch spare. You have to ask yourself what you will do when the spare gets old and untrustworthy, and you have to replace it.

Bob -

When lowering the tire carrier, I think the important thing is not to lower it too far. The tire sidewall should still be in firm contact with the underside of the trailer. What you want to avoid is a situation where the spare tire and the carrier can float up and down a bit. In that case, as you go over bumps, the assembly will lift up, then slam down on the bolts. The shock load could cause problems of all kinds. I suppose you could install some compression springs on the extended bolts to carry the load.

Of course, the other thought is to travel with the spare deflated to a low pressure (so it will squish and fit), and also carry a compressor. I wouldn't do it, but ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire