TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Virginia State Inspection Potential Issue

Yesterday, during state inspection, discovered that TrailManor backup lights didn’t work and that this can be an issue resulting in failure to pass inspection. I asked inspector why TrailManor passed inspection last year, but not this year. He said it depends on “how the unit is presented,” according to Virginia State Police who regulate inspections. Last year, TrailManor was unhooked from tow vehicle; this year, it was left hooked to tow vehicle.

The wiring of the plug on the tow vehicle was the real issue. It was never wired for backup lights. The reason trailer passed last year was that inspector tested trailer connector and it is properly wired for backup lights. This year, with tow vehicle connected, backup lights on trailer didn’t work.

I may be the only person that has this issue, but thought I’d tell others. I had the inspector hook up the tow vehicle backup lights to the tow vehicle connector, and all is well for inspection from now on.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Interesting...we don't have state inspection for trailers in the Lone Star State. But I'll check the backup lights anyway.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
larsdennert

I wired my TV myself and my back up lights aren't wired. I wouldn't be able to see anything anyway. I park by braile.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
ng2951

Louisiana issues a permanent license for the trailer. I never seen any requirement for trailer inspections, at least as far as personal trailers are concerned.

The thing to remember is that a law officer can cite you regardless of your inspection tags. So the question would be does the State require backup lights or not?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Louisiana issues a permanent license for the trailer. I never seen any requirement for trailer inspections, at least as far as personal trailers are concerned.

The thing to remember is that a law officer can cite you regardless of your inspection tags. So the question would be does the State require backup lights or not?
Louisiana does require an annual inspection for all RV's. Their definition of an RV includes all types from class A's down to any trailer that hauls a boat, 4-wheeler or cycle. My TM is inspected every year. The sticker is not placed on the trailer and must be carried in the tow vehicle at all times.

Evidently this inspection requirement has been on the books for a long time. The state started enforcing it in the northern parishes in the summer of 2006. The first time most of the boaters found out about it was when the inspection traps were set up just outside of the boat launch areas. They were given tickets for no inspection stickers on the boat trailers as they left the launch areas and entered the highway, first offense, no warnings were given. Needless to say, this has not been well received by the local sportsmen.

Mike
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

In Georgia, certain counties (metro ATL) require annual emissions inspections for most vehicles. These emissions tests are done by private entities and not the local or state governments. My cars have never failed an emissions test, and I'm guessing that a vehicle would have to be grossly 'out of tune' to fail one of these tests, or burning oil so badly that it needs to be taken off the road anyway. There is no safety inspection, for cars or RVs.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default VA inspections

I had my TM inspected earlier this month. All my lights were checked but I don't remember being asked to put to put it in reverse. The guy checked my brakes (& bearings) and all my connections to make sure they were good. He even checked the breakaway switch to make sure it worked. All of this for the state fee of $16 which I think is a great deal and am glad to do it for safety's sake alone.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Louisiana does require an annual inspection for all RV's. Their definition of an RV includes all types from class A's down to any trailer that hauls a boat, 4-wheeler or cycle. My TM is inspected every year. The sticker is not placed on the trailer and must be carried in the tow vehicle at all times.

Evidently this inspection requirement has been on the books for a long time. The state started enforcing it in the northern parishes in the summer of 2006. The first time most of the boaters found out about it was when the inspection traps were set up just outside of the boat launch areas. They were given tickets for no inspection stickers on the boat trailers as they left the launch areas and entered the highway, first offense, no warnings were given. Needless to say, this has not been well received by the local sportsmen.

Mike
</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Aah Mike, it sounds like you must have went fishing over at Poverty Point Reservoir too. Those guys make a fortune off tickets for fishermen not having inspection stickers on boat trailers there.

Yes NG2951, all trailers (unless you are a farmer) are required to have a vehicle inspection sticker for them in Louisiana......including your Trailmanor, 4 wheeler trailer, utility trailer, boat trailer, etc.

https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...f?opendocument

It is being enforced more frequently, but has been required for awhile. Another thing they are getting everyone on is brakes for the trailers. These tandem axle 16 foot trailers are being required to have brakes on both axles. They are slamming these lawn service guys with these trailers.

Here is the actual reg:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88048
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
PopBeavers

For once California got it right. We don't need no inspection. They just take the money and you don't get anything for it.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
The wiring of the plug on the tow vehicle was the real issue. It was never wired for backup lights.
What e;se was never wired? You MAY be able to get away without backup lights, but if running lights, for example, are not there, it can be serious.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote