TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2003, 06:21 AM   #1

Default Questions from new TM owner

I bought a 1990 TM model 26 for 3800.00. It's been stored for the past few years and after a checkout, I found that now that it sits exposed to the weather, a small leak is starting. The water is dripping from the side of the front clam shell at the left side of the door. I haven't been able to find a source for the leak but I suspect it is coming in around the awning and where it attaches to the front shell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:57 AM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Questions from new TM owner

rebel,

Congrats on your TM....as to your leak, make sure that the caulk that is on the seam behind the awning is in solid shape.  try to slide a blunt object under is, as it might "look" sealed, but not so when exposed to water.  With a 1990 model, I would be very tempted to remove all of the existing caulk and recaulk all of the seams as we have all learned how easily a leak can (and will) develop.

Good Luck,

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks Larry!

The leak hasn't developed into something more serious as yet but I wanted to get on it asap.

This unit I've bought is in great shape but there was no owners manual. Fortunately, I live about 25 miles from Lake City and I may try to go over to the TM factory.

I've yet to go camping. I've tried most of the appliances and still have the manuals to almost all of them. I do have a few additional questions though.

1. When the TM is powered by battery (DC) only is it normal that the outlets don't work?
2. How do I light the furnace?
3. Once the water heater gets to the preset temperature does the burner shut off (thermostat)-and do you leave the pilot light lit 24/7?
4. Does closing the TM in a slightly unlevel position make it difficult to latch?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after my first camping trip next week.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Larry!

The leak hasn't developed into something more serious as yet but I wanted to get on it asap.

This unit I've bought is in great shape but there was no owners manual. Fortunately, I live about 25 miles from Lake City and I may try to go over to the TM factory.

I've yet to go camping. I've tried most of the appliances and still have the manuals to almost all of them. I do have a few additional questions though.

1. When the TM is powered by battery (DC) only is it normal that the outlets don't work?
2. How do I light the furnace?
3. Once the water heater gets to the preset temperature does the burner shut off (thermostat)-and do you leave the pilot light lit 24/7?
4. Does closing the TM in a slightly unlevel position make it difficult to latch?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after my first camping trip next week.

Answers:
#1 Yes, I assume that you mean the 110v outlets...they are not powered from the battery. The 12V socket for the TV hookup should work though.

#2 The furnace is self igniting but you have to make sure that the switch on the bottom of the thermostat is turned to the on position. Once you slide it on then the top thermostat slider works just like at home.

#3 Yes, the water heater will shut off automatically when the water gets hot. If yours has the DSI (dura spark ignition) where you just flip the switch inside, that's all there is to it. If you have to light the pilot, leave it on until you are ready to leave for home then turn the valve knob to the off position.

#4 Absolutely!! If the TM is off level it can make latching it a little tough! Be careful unlatching it if it isn't level as well, I had the latch spring up and out very quickly, and I thought it had broken my finger once.

You can order an owners manual from TM for $20 I believe, and it is well worth the money for reference if nothing else. But living so close, just go pick one up!!

Enjoy that new toy, and if you have any additional questions, we are just a few keystrokes away!!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
This unit I've bought is in great shape but there was no owners manual.
You can get a copy of the current owners manual (2002) HERE.  I hope that some of it, at least, is applicable to your unit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Happytrails

One thing about getting a unit that old, you may not have gotten an owner's manual with it as it was industry standard at that time to simply supply the manuals for the individual applience manufacturers. I have one that originally came with my 1986, and it's simply was little more than a folded up sheet or two of paper, with staples for the binder. "Nothing in it I didn't aready know". The newer manuals are very detailed, and good reference, and come in a binder with the pages about 1/2" thick. As far as lighting the furnace, if it's been sitting for a while, be SURE to follow the directions in the furnace manual to a "T". It was almost 9 months or more before I figured out why my furnace wouldn't light, simply because I thought ya just turned it on, turned the gas on, and let it do it's thing like a home furnace. I don't know about the newer models, but in the older ones there is something about a "purge" cycle and all that, which I wasn't aware of......I do have my original manual for my furnace if you'd like, email me and I'll scan the lighting instructions and send them to ya.........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...........[/glow]
Old 07-02-2003, 02:51 AM   #7

What a great bunch of guys ya'll are!

Thanks!