TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Propane Tank Regulator

I have a 2720SL with two 20 Lb. LP gas tanks. The factory regulator has a small flipper that is used to choose what tank you want to use. When the one tank is empty, does this regulator automatically move to the other tank, or do I need to flip the lever myself? What happens if the second tank is not connected to the regulator? Does this regulator need to have to two tanks connected to it all times or will it operate properly (leak?) with only one tank?

I want to use one of the tanks to run a Mr. Buddy catalytic heater with a separate hose while the other tank remains connected to my TM for the fridge, hot water, and cooking.

Thanks,

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go
I have a 2720SL with two 20 Lb. LP gas tanks. The factory regulator has a small flipper that is used to choose what tank you want to use. When the one tank is empty, does this regulator automatically move to the other tank, or do I need to flip the lever myself?
The regulator will internally switch to the other tank but the flip lever will not move on its own. When the flip valve is pointed toward an empty tank, the normally solid green indicator will have a red band around the bottom which is how it tells you (1) the tank it's pointing to is empty and (2) it is actually drawing from the other tank.
Quote:
What happens if the second tank is not connected to the regulator? Does this regulator need to have to two tanks connected to it all times or will it operate properly (leak?) with only one tank?
My recollection is it will defintely leak if both tanks are not connected. Shortly after I bought my TM, I tried it with just one tank connected, detected a very noticeable leak out the disconnected side and never tried again. I could have had a bad regulator though...it failed and started leaking around the flip valve at the beginning of its second season.

Quote:
I want to use one of the tanks to run a Mr. Buddy catalytic heater with a separate hose while the other tank remains connected to my TM for the fridge, hot water, and cooking.
I seem to recall that you can get some kind of adaptor to run a Mr Buddy using a low pressure supply. If that's the case, you could simply tee into the line coming out of the regulator and allow the regulator to work as it was designed to with two tanks.

I don't have first hand knowledge of Mr Buddy heaters since they're basically useless in Colorado...they are not to be used above an altitude of 7000 feet and the vast majority of Colorado campgrounds are at much higher elevations than 7000 feet.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Thanks for your comments Ray. I don't plan to find out if mine leaks. Can you explain a little more about the "T" connection with both tanks?

Thanks,

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 11-12-2004, 07:12 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default You need an "Extend-A-Flow" kit

Quote:
Thanks for your comments Ray. I don't plan to find out if mine leaks. Can you explain a little more about the "T" connection with both tanks?

Thanks,
OK, did a little digging. I was wrong about hooking this thing up to the low pressure side of the TM's regulator...the Buddy heater has a regulator built into it and apparently needs to work off of high pressure gas directly from a propane cylinder (i.e. upstream from the TM's gas regulator).

What you therefore need is a Marshall Extend-A-Flow Plus Propane Kit...that tees in between one of the tanks and the TM's regulator. This kit comes with a 12 foot hose and should properly connect to the Heater Buddy...if not, Mr Heater offers a hose that does connect to their heater. The link is to Dyers RV but there are lots of RV online retailers who sell this device...and you might be able to find it at a local RV store as well. BTW, this kit would also allow you to operate a portable grill off your TM's propane tanks...precludes the need to continually haul little 1 lb propane cannisters around with you.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

Old 11-13-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Ray, your knowledge and expertise is priceless. Thanks,

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 11-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Ray, your knowledge and expertise is priceless. Thanks,
<**blushes**> Most welcome