TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Windbreaker

Default Business advice needed

Last night we were hit by a hail storm and high winds.

Good news is the TM withstood 80 mph winds on its side while set up very well (those things are steadier than even I thought). The bad news is hail pounded it, just the shells but they took a beating.

Now the question. Should I report to the insurance or not? If I report rates will increase and most likely I'll not get enough to cover the cost of replaceing them. Plus it would most likely mean a trip to Lake City. (not covered by insurance) However. if I don't report the resale value will go down greatly. And of course there is the question of good looks. That I have seen no windows or vents were broken, no water leakage, just the dents!

What would you do?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
camperboy

Default Re:Business advice needed

Going through something similar right now with my DW's car. What about reporting it and keeping the cash towards the loss in value of the unit? Can't think of a repair method other than replacement. Maybe a call to TM after the holiday weekend would help you decide. They could probably provide replacement cost information was well as any viable repair alternatives.

Keep us posted, I'm curious about the outcome.

Camperboy
Old 05-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
bell
Site Sponsor

I went throught this problem in 2002 with my 2001 Trailmanor.Nationwide paid the repair bill $9000. I sold the unit at wholesale,with a damage report because in NC it is under auto law .I purchased a2004 one size bigger 2720sl with the checks. MY insurance rate did not change because I was not at fault.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
Happytrails

Usually with the hail damage, they can do a roof over with another skin of aluminum over top of the dented one. You're insurance should cover it, and it should not increase your insurance rates, as was said, not your fault.........But it will have to go to Lake City for the overhaul............Make sure your insurance company knows what's involved.........(Ya did pay them your hard earned money just in case something like this happens, welp, they should take care of ya)

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.............[/glow]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Windbreaker

Thanks for all the input folks. I had a sound bases for talking to the insurance guy this morning and he said just what you all said but added that they should pay me to take it up to Lake City and pay room and board while there. Looks like I may get it fixed with a little trip for a kicker! Nothing final yet but looks like all may work out.

Thanks again.

p. s. good to see you are able to read the board again Happy, that's a sign things are getting back to normal at your house. Be sure to tell Karen to just keep on kicking you around - it is good exercise for her.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Happytrails

Lol Windbreaker, and no problem on the help. From what I understand, this proceedure of "Roofing over" has been done LOTS of times. It *is* best to get TM to do it as they are the most experienced in it, and know about all the small things involved such as having to readjust your torsion bars to allow for the extra weight, as well as where all the wires are and all that. It was good you had the info you needed when you talked with the insurance company as that is your BEST option when dealing with ANY insurance company in ANY case. Especially when dealing with something that is unusual such as this. The insurance adjuster I doubt knew what to do for you, and probably would have simply handed you a check for a lot less than the repair costed knowing most people just take the money, and never get it repaired.

At any rate, glad to help ya Windbreaker, and yes, it's good to be back.....hopefully we'll be camping real soon in our TM!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 06-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
efelker

Reroofing with an over skin sounds the way to go. Almost thought someone was going to suggest the "bondo" repair method. That would probably add six tons to the weight and make opening the shells almost impossible. Sounds like your insurance company is acting responsibly offering to pay for the trip to Lake City. Good luck & keep us posted.

Ed
Old 06-08-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
kempert
Site Sponsor

Windbreaker-

Who is your insurance company? As a result of your experience, I'm sure lot's of people would like to know. I like what I've read.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
Windbreaker

As I've said nothing is final yet so I don't know for sure just how fair they will be. State Farm is my provider and the trailer damage was covered under my homeowner's policy because it was parked here when it happened. Had it a motor or been off the lot then it would have gone under the auto policy.

I will say this, if they come through the way they were talking I don't think I'm going to have it fixed. Their offer plus what I think I can get even with the damage equals more than I paid for it. So I will use it another two or three years then move to a bigger trailer. (most likely, DW is talking a bigger one now)
Old 06-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
kempert
Site Sponsor

Thanks!
It sounds like things are going to work out for you. I was afraid that you were going to have a real big hassle and lose a lot financially.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote