TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Skipper64

Default 2008 2720SD for $18,500...opinion needed

We are looking at a 2720SD for $18,500. The NADA shows it for $16K. It has been barely used and maintained well. Any ideas on whether that is a fair asking price or should I negotiate down...the seller is not too keen on negotiating. Thank you!
Skipper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First question - where are you? Prices vary across the country.

Second question - some details on the NADA numbers you mention. The NADA site is notoriously hard to use, because "options" are often mis-defined. For a TM, almost everything in the NADA options list is not an option, but is standard equipment. Major exceptions are the air conditioner, awning, and swing hitch if it has one.

I don't see any way to get the NADA bottom line to either of the numbers you mention. That's not to say that the numbers are wrong or unfair, but only that NADA doesn't seem to support them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Look on rvtrader.com, it seems a bit high to me. When we were shopping for a used TM the first one we looked at was overpriced for the condition but the seller told me that he had a loan on it and had to get that much to pay off the loan (as if that sets the market value?). We passed. He called me back the next day and lowered his price; we still passed.

On the other hand, if it's perfect, and that's what you're looking for, it may be worth a bit of negotiation.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Scott O

An RV is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you think it is overpriced, it is. If you think it is very clean and worth the price, it is. Remember, it is a 4 year old TM which probably cost around $30,000 originally and feature-wise is about the same as a new one.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

If you know your banker well, how much will the bank loan on it? true, seller probably has a loan near the asking price. That's an RV for you. Can't get half of what you paid new 4 years later. If its a cash deal, I would bring as much as you can afford and see if that motivates the seller.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Skipper64

Bill,

Thank you for your note. I am on the west coast and looking at other posts, that makes a difference in pricing (meaning higher). The trailer has no swing hitch, but does have AC and an awning. I was suspect of the NADA guide when I found there were more options than Trail Manor even offers. The NADA guide seemed to be a "catch all" options list rather than one specific to these trailers.

My number may be off since I chose some of the options listed and have since found they come "stock" with this trailer (Read: I am new to Trail Manors). What numbers did you come up with?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

There's one on Craigslist in Springfield, MO for $14.9. I don't know what shape it's in.

When I put the info into NADA, using just the A/C and the awning as options (there may be more, such as hanging cabinets, TV antenna, etc. that you are not aware of) it shows low retail at $11,055 and high retail at $13,320. I don't really trust the NADA guides for TM's.

On the other hand, there are these at Custom RV in Anaheim, CA: http://customrvsales.com/customrvinc-kzrv_006.htm

And there aren't that may SD models around.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Redhawk

I'm not sure it this will help you or not, but the local TM dealer had my 2008 2619 listed for $16,900 and it sold. I suspect the price was negotiated lower, but I do not know by how much. Dealer support and financing is a plus.

The 2619 had all options including solar, cabinets, swing hitch and new 15" wheels and tires. I don't think NADA is a good guide in this area.

I think your price is about $1500. too high. If the battery and tires are stock, they will be due to be replaced very soon. Good luck...nice unit!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Skipper64

Bill and others,

Thank you for your advice. I think I am going to offer $15.5K. I do not have a trailer brake controller on my '08 Odyssey so I can ask for that and a Equalizer hitch be installed by them. I am hoping they will see some profit in my additional purchases and bite.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
An RV is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you think it is overpriced, it is. If you think it is very clean and worth the price, it is. Remember, it is a 4 year old TM which probably cost around $30,000 originally and feature-wise is about the same as a new one.
My unit is a year old and cost just shy of $30k. Given all the work I put into it, $500 in batteries, the fixes, the improvements and reworks, if I had to sell it today, which I won't, I'd want $32k for it. I would probably not get such a price from a buyer but for now, that's fine with me.

To me, $18k for a 4 year old unit that is new and clean looking, that may have all the bugs worked out, could be considered fair but only in the opinion of whomever is willing to pay that. Scott's comment is right on.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote