TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
arniland

Default Thetford Cloast Flange Seal

I have had my toilet out to look at the slide valve which I suspected was leaking down. Prior posts by ShrimpBurrito, Bill and others were most helpful. Thanks to all, especially Dave's Virtual Tour photos and explanation. Not sure what the issue was, but the valve looked good. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly with silicone lube, I'm ready to reinstall the toilet AND the old closet flange seal has been lost ($%^&$#!!). In an earlier post somewhere, Bill urged installing with a new seal anyway, so off to my local RV parts store. The only seal they have (marked for Thetford BTW) looks like it should set down into a closet flange that looks like a trumpet. My flange is concave. The old seal was shaped more like a donut. And, of course, the factory is presently closed closed, so I cannot call Ed and order one directly. Can anyone help me with a part number or the generic description of the closet seal I need? There cannot be THAT many different types of closet flanges! We are going on a trip in a little over a week and my lovely bride will not be happy without a toilet. Help!

Thanks in advance for any help or education about closet flange types.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

From a prior post of mine (referenced here for others to visit if necessary):

Quote:
FYI - I had to call around a few places, but I finally found a dealer that had both the closet flange seal (Thetford part #33364) and the gasket repair kit referenced above (Thetford part #09872). A number of places I called either couldn't find one of the numbers or the flange seal was on backorder.

Contact info:

Arrow Trailer Supplies (Ontario, CA)
http://www.arrowtrailer.net/
909-986-3737
ask for Mike - he had to do some work cross referencing various numbers. In case he forgets, his supplier part numbers are:

flange seal: 83-9085 (Thetford part #33364) - $4.95
gasket kit: 83-8171 (Thetford part #09872) - $20.95

Shipping was $7.50

Thetford also has the parts for a few bucks less if you can get a hold of them. Shipping out to CA is also longer.
Good luck!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
arniland

Dave,

Thanks. I'll follow up with my RV parts dealer first thing tomorrow morning.

BTW - When I pulled the toilet and pulled the valve apart, everything looked good. What had set me off was not hearing the "whoosh" when I pulled the handle and finding a little blue stuff when I opened the outside waste valve. I also found that several times after charging, I would find the toilet later needed more water added to circulate.

So, with the toilet out of the TM, I conducted an experiment. It took only a little over a half gallon of fresh water (using an old milk jug) to fill the pipe up to the floor flange. It would sure seem that the easiest solution to a leaking slide valve is, after dumping, to charge the toilet with fresh water with the slide valve open until the pump will circulate water. THEN close the valve and add the blue stuff. In this way, the fresh charge/chemical mix should not leak down into the full pipe between the floor flange and the black water valve. The extra weight of ~2 quarts of water is not what is going to push my loaded weight over the top.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Hi Arn,

Yes, it definitely sounds like you have a leaking flange seal. If you are not getting the whoosh and you are getting some leakage when you open up the sewer cap, those are key signs. The whoosh sound is from the air in the black pipe below the toilet being displaced by the incoming waste -- the air comes up through the waste as bubbles. If you don't hear that, no air is being displaced, and that means that black pipe is already full.

I think your suggested method is certainly an acceptable work-around for this problem. However, I think it does have some disadvantages:
  • Camping in sub-freezing temps might pose a problem as that pipe is below the floor and might freeze. But for that matter, so is the gray water pipe that leaves the tank, so maybe that's not an issue, but it sure would be a bummer if it cracked.
  • You lose the extra capacity to be gained by opening the EZ valve when your toilet is getting full. This has saved me numerous times.
  • I think the "whoosh" helps funnel solids down into the black pipe, as it's a fast downward flow of waste from right inside the filter cone. If you aren't dumping at your campsite (vs. your campground or elsewhere), I think that's probably very helpful in evacuating most of the waste. Otherwise, once you drive around a bit, you give solids a chance to move outside the filter cone, and once that happens, it takes awhile for them to move back in, at least in my experience.
Can't think of anything else really. I think this is probably how "regular" RVs are setup, i.e. that black pipe is always full. But like you said, it's certainly easier than replacing the seal!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Default Thetford parts

Just wanted to give a shout out to some folks able to help me with parts, was needing the floor seal , flange what-ever you call it, local rv dealers was no help,mine is an older model 80 long and short of it,
called tennessee-rv sales and service in knoxville ,someone answered ,ask for parts, she said the had already closed, but would try anyway, well nice fellow named tim answered and was on the ball,stocks parts and can get just about any part you would need, was also familar with the tm line. My parts are on the way. so if you are looking
tennesseerv.com
865-270-4085
ask for tim,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote