TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Saberrr

Default Put AC on Roof of older model 1990 M-28

I Purcheds a 1990 M-28 last summer. We found that the side mount AC does not keep up when camping in South Texas. I did a search and can not find much information about the possibility of putting a roof top airconditioner on an older trailmanor.
Did they add additional support in the newer models for the roof top AC? I know I will have to see if I can adjust the torsion bars with the added weight. Any insight if anyone has done this would be help full.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
ng2951

Someone may have done this. The problem you are going to have is running the power to the roof position besides actually mounting it there.

TM has move the location of the ac a few times. At one time they had it over the master bed. Considering how noisy the equipment is, small wonder they moved it to the front shell.

I wish someone would figure out a ducting scheme to reduce the noise of the ac. It would also be nice to have a real thermostat for the compressor...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb Reduce Fan Speed

If we had better control of the speed of the fan it would cure our problems! Any of the Electrical Engineers have ideas? Would a rheostat work?

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Saberr -

I have no specific knowledge, but I would not bet that the roof of an older model is strong enough to support a new airco. This is particularly true since the new airco units are located near the open end of the roof arch. If I were going to experiment, I would mount the unit near the end wall of either the front shell or the rear shell, so that it could gain some support from the end wall.

A possibly helpful point. When the roof aircos were first added to the TMs, they were on the rear shell over the bed (as mentioned above), and had a power cord that simply hung down inside. After setting up, you were expected to grab this cord and plug it into a handy outlet. Not very elegant, but quite effective.

Have you considered an alternative approach, such as mounting a second window unit in a handy place on the floor up front - maybe in one of the forward cabinets, under a dinette or couch, etc? I can't find a floor plan for your unit, so I have no specific suggestions. But mounting it on the floor would allow you to run the power wire under the trailer, rather than in a wall or roof channel.

There was a good thread a while back about sizing the hole, cutting the hole, mounting the unit, adding louvers, etc. In some ways, it could be more handy to have two small units, rather than one big one. It would also give you the opportunity to run the wiring under the floor, rather than in the wall or ceiling.

I've thought about adding a small window unit under the couch of my 2720SL ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Saberrr

Default adding AC to Roof

Thank you for the responses. after reading the information from every one I might consider seeing if I can get a higher output wall unit. I still have a lot of room where it is located. This and using a fan to move the air looks like it might be the best solution.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Although it was not mentioned, if you put an airco on the roof, the torsion bars will no longer lift that half of the shell. I don't know how hard (or expensive) it is to replace a set of 4 bars, but it is something I would leave to the factory, or one of the experienced dealer like The Car Show in Colo Springs, or Custom RV in Anaheim.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airconditioner