TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Debbie

Default Newbie Water regulator question

I am the new owner of a trail mini, also new to RVing. When I hook up to city water I know I need a water regulator. The one I have is preset at 45 psi, but I think the manual said 35 psi is the safest. Does any one have any recommendations? I also wanted to know if the hot water heater fills up automatically when you fill the fresh water tank or use city water?
Getting ready for the 1st real trip
Debbie
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I think my regulator is set for 45 PSI, I've heard that's a reasonable number. I don't have a TM manual, so I can't speak to that, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

As to the hot water heater, to make certain it is filled, open the hot water tap at the kitchen and bathroom sinks (at a minimum) and wait until the water flows freely without sputtering. Then you are sure the water heater is full. Without doing this, air will be trapped in the heater, and it won't fill. If you're using the fresh water tank, you'll need to make sure the pump is on before trying this, otherwise there won't be any pressure in your system.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Scott O

I have never seen a fixed pressure regulator at other than 45psi. I think adjustable ones can go lower. 45 is pretty low, so I'm not sure it matters. The water heater will fill automatically when you use city water IF IF IF you open a hot water tap inside the trailer to allow the air to escape. Same procedure when using the fresh water tank but the water pump must be on. Note, if you turn on the water heater electric heating switch without the heater tank being full, you will likely fry the heating element instantly, so put safeguards in place so this doesn't happen.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Debbie

Thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Page 18 of my manual states 35 psi is suggested. Recently when I went to get a new one I could not find one that low so I bought one with a gauge that we use. We just regulate the valve on the water faucet until it reads 35.

When we first got our TM the first full day of camping I reached in the little cabinet under the sink for something and my hair dryer was all wet, The shelf in the cabinet was wet so we tried to figure out where the water was coming from. We finally turned down the water pressure coming into the camer at the faucet end and there were no more leaks even again in the cabinet. We went right out and bought a pressure regulator. At that time I found a blue plastic one at Walmart. It some how cracked and I went with what I have now.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
gmferg

The faucet valve at your campsite can only regulate flow NOT pressure. Cranking the valve down does not decrease pressure, it simply limits the max flow. If you do not have a pressure regulator, you are not regulating pressure, the campground is.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Ohhhhhh I did not know that. Hmmmm I wonder why they but the gauge on the pressure regulator. I though I was so we could adjust it at the faucet. I will look it up at Camping World and see what they say in the advertisment.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Ok I bought this one and thought I could regulate the pressure: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lead-free/8221

It does not say I can so I will exchange it for this one: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lead-free/8221

I GUESS the gauge is only on the first example so you can see what the pressure is at the hook up.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
gmferg

They are all pressure regulators. The first 3 have a fixed pressure setting and the last one is adjustable. The 3rd one has a gauge and it looks like it is on the regulated side not the inlet.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have the 3rd one do I need to get the 4th one???