TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhopeful View Post
We really appreciate all your honest and thoughtful answers to our question about the reality of towing the Elkmont 24 with a Ford Edge. We are senior citizens and don't think the mini would be big enough for us to be comfortable. My husband was eyeing a Buick Enclave on the highway tonight and I have a feeling he may be checking out its towing capacity soon. So, although we love our Edge, we may have to get a bigger tow vehicle. Safety and comfort are our goals. Thanks again for guiding us away from getting into more than we can handle. I hope we can become part of this community in the not-too-distant future.
I have a Buick Enclave and I tow a 24' Elkmont with it. I would not tow anything more than this with it, and living in Southern CA, I have certain self-imposed rules that I follow:
  • Never travel above 5000 foot elevation
  • Be careful in the selection of routes I take - I use a topo map before every trip to plan my route
  • Only use campgrounds with full hookups and tow with all tanks as dry as possible
  • Stay to 55 MPH or less (the law in any case in CA)
  • Keep the packing to essentials only

Doing this, I have kept my gross trailer weight to under 3500 lbs (weighed at the local truck scale) and my tongue weight to about 550. We use a WDH and sway bar. I keep my brakes in top condition.

If you like the Enclave, I suggest that you consider a loaded Chevy Traverse as an alternative. Same basic body and drive train but with a superior engine and tranny cooling system, and because of this, it is rated for towing to 5200 lbs instead of 4500 lbs.