TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Frank777

Default Picking up 2000 TM

We'll be picking up a 2000 3124 next week that is "almost new." It has been used twice and sitting the rest of the almost seven years. Original owners who never used the toilet or opened the awning.

Is there anything special I should be looking for? Items that might have deteriorated from lack of use? Seals, etc. Propane tanks? I'll replace the tires when we get back...a 900 mile trip.

Thanks, Frank
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
grakin

You'll want new tires (they degrade in the sunlight and air). Quite possibly a battery too.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default consider purchasing tires before trip home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
We'll be picking up a 2000 3124 next week that is "almost new." It has been used twice and sitting the rest of the almost seven years. ... I'll replace the tires when we get back...a 900 mile trip.
I would suggest reading the many posts about tire failures and the damage they may cause. It may be prudent to spend time looking into buying tires before your trip home. You do not want to start your ownership experience on a bad note.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Cool!!! Good Luck!!! Enjoy!!!!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
wmtire

Unless you are going to tow your newly purchased TrailManor back home on a flatbed trailer, I really think you need to listen to the sound advice everyone is giving you about replacing the tires FIRST.

Since you are already planning to replace them, you are really taking an unneccessary risk in not doing it before you tow it home.

If you read the terrible experiences that others have had with tire failures, hopefully you will take preventative measures to save yourself from it.

I am also a relative newbie to this site, but what I have already learned from everybody's wisdom here speaks volumes.

Bobby
Old 06-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Freedom

Before too long you should consider the mod on the wheel wells. I wouldn't worry about it before the trip home, but a 2000 model will have the square wheel wells which trap the tread from a failed tire and do a lot of damage to the TM. The mod isn't hard, just time consuming - it took me about 4 hours.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
camp2canoe

Default 2000 Tm

You might check the expiration date on the propane cylinders as well. I'm at the office now (otherwise I'd run out and check) but I believe that propane cylinders are stamped with expiry dates after which they can't be refilled. I don't know if they can be tested and recertified or if they need to be replaced. Some years ago tanks were required to have overfill protection devices and those valves have a distinctive triangular handle. I'm not sure when those went into effect but if your TM has the vertical tanks, it could very well be that the owner has rotated the TM tanks with his barbecue grill tanks. - Camp2Canoe
Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Frank777

Default Thanks

I've made arrangements for new tires and packing the wheel bearings and I'll check the tanks on arrival.

The tire store in Iowa recommended MultiMile trailer tires. They are 8 ply radials. He's been in business for 31 years and says he's never had a problem with them.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll post photos when we get home.

God bless, Frank