TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #11
Mark

Default Re: Equalizer Hitch and Folding Tongue

We use an E-QUI-LI-ZER tm hitch on our 2720 w/swing tongue.  One modification was needed to make it work.   That was to  grind about 1/16th of an inch off of the bottom side of the pin on the hinge side of the tongue.  This was approved by Donnie at the TM factory when we were there recently.  This small amout of room allows the hinge side bar to be elevated high enough to shift weight back on the trailer and move freely when turning, etc.

We are very happy with this piece of equipment.  It makes the trailer feel like it's on a rail with the Tundra now and the Mazda Tribute prior to the Tundra.  We have the medium weight unit and couldn't imagine needing anything heavier.  The part that inserts into the receiver weighs ~25lbs.  Would advise that you raise the tongue with the tongue jack ~1nch off of the ball prior to inserting the bars into their respective spots.  This makes setup very easy and no need for the tool that comes with the unit to manhandle the bars into place.  Then lower the tongue jack and flip the lock over the ball.  Reverse this for disconnect.
Good luck with your decision.  Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Mark and Mary Ann

Old 06-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #12

Mark and Mary Ann -

Thanks for the info.  By looking at the Eqal-i-zer web site I had come to the conclusion that it might be a close call.  I appreciate your taking your time to give your experience.  Your post makes me give serious consideration to the Equal-i-zer hitch.  I'll let you know.

Newt
Old 06-16-2003, 02:14 AM   #13
KB7OUR

We also use an Equal-i-zer brand hitch for towing our 3023 with a Yukon XL. I tried the grinding the swing away tongue hinge pin method but in my case this still did not give me enough wight distribution as I needed to raise the hitch bars one more notch. Instead, I added about 5 more of the WD bar spacers on the outside of the frame to move the entire L bracket out a few inches from the pin and frame. I did this on only one side and it works perfectly. Each extra spacer was only a few dollars.

Wade
Old 06-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #14
Mark

Found this on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33653
Old 11-20-2003, 03:48 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Equalizer Hitch - dumb answer

[quote author=Bill link=board=1;threadid=95;start=msg906#msg906 date=1055493845]There is a very expensive hitch out there with the trade name EQUAL-I-ZER. It is a combination weight-distributing hitch and an elaborate anti-sway mechanism. If memory serves, the EQUAL-I-ZER does indeed have a bunch of "stuff" hanging down in the area of the springbar tips.
Bill[/quote]This is an old thread, but I just discovered I messed up and I'm here to admit it. When I wrote this response, I was thinking of the $3000 Hensley hitch, not the Equal-I-Zer. The Hensley is undoubtedly a fine hitch, but IMHO way overkill (and overprice) for a TM. The Equal-I-Zer is a great hitch, period, and I did not intend to malign it.

I just want to set the record straight for anyone who comes back to this thread using the Search engine - or anyone who thought I had lost a couple of cranial alignment bolts. Which I guess I did.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #16
camperboy

Default Re:Equalizer Hitch and Folding Tongue

We use a Equalizer between our Ford Ranger and TM 3023 (actually a 1990 M-26). More than pleased with it. Makes for a great ride and solid handling, even in some scarey emergency avoidance situtations (tractor trailer forced anther vehicle into the front/side of us). While I can't provide insight into the swing tongue issue, I can say that I think the Equalizer is a great hitch. I also am in the camp where almost anything can be modified to work with almost anything. By reading the above posts I think that is the case with the TM swing tongue and the Equalizer.

Camperboy