TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
HappyWDWCampers

Default Switch out oven in favor of Microwave

I briefly searched and could not find the answer to my question so hear goes... I walked through a new TM a couple weeks ago and the dealer had a microwave installed instead of the oven. I don't see myself using the oven much (tell me if you use yours a ton so I know I am wrong here...) but I can see using the microwave). So, given I can't afford the new TM and we are looking used and many of the used ones have ovens with countertop microwaves, I am wondering as a weight saving technique how hard it would be to remove the oven and put in a microwave instead and would I have to get a special microwave?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

We have the microwave instead of the gas oven - it was installed by the factory. If I had it to do over again, I'd have the gas oven and buy a small microwave to place on the counter. The cabinet supports on the factory-installed microwaves leave a lot to be desired - we've had numerous problems with the microwave shelf supports failing.

Just my opinion.

Bob
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWDWCampers View Post
I briefly searched and could not find the answer to my question so hear goes... I walked through a new TM a couple weeks ago and the dealer had a microwave installed instead of the oven. I don't see myself using the oven much (tell me if you use yours a ton so I know I am wrong here...) but I can see using the microwave). So, given I can't afford the new TM and we are looking used and many of the used ones have ovens with countertop microwaves, I am wondering as a weight saving technique how hard it would be to remove the oven and put in a microwave instead and would I have to get a special microwave?
We have the conventional propane oven in our TM, and we use it quite a bit, especially in the winter when the extra heat is certainly welcome. What you need to remember is that if you opt for the microwave only, you'll not be able to use it when dry camping (ie no hookups); whereas you'd be able to use the conventional oven as long as you had propane. (You might, however, be able to power the factory installed microwave with a generator when dry camping). We bought a small, inexpensive microwave that we keep on the counter when we need it for something quick. For us, this is a more practical way to go.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With an oven, you can cook anywhere, any time. With a microwave, you have to be hooked up to a source of electric power. So your expected camping style comes into play here.

The other question is whether you want keep to remove the 3-burner stovetop. My TM is not handy at the moment, so I can't check, but I don't recall if they are a single unit, or if you can remove some screws and separate them. In other words, can you remove the oven but keep the stovetop.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
lnussbau

We don't use the gas oven very often (wife is used to electric oven and more even heat), but there have been a few occasions when it's been very welcome, even with hookups. The inexpensive counter top microwave we have does fine for everything we need to zap, and leaves us the option of cooking both ways.

For example, did you ever try to cook a pizza in a microwave (we were surprised in a group campout)?

In other words, given a choice if we were purchasing new again, we'd still take the gas oven and spend $39 plus for a small microwave.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Bill,

The stove / oven appliance in our unit is one piece. If removed, another separate cook top would have to be installed.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2983a.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	3824  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
HappyWDWCampers

Sounds like I better rethink that weight saving idea. Thanks for all your input.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
PopBeavers

We use the micro wave to warm up leftovers (rarely) and sometimes DW will use it to make microwave popcorn. If I wanted popcorn I would make Jiffy Pop over the campfire.

We use the oven daily for biscuits in the morning an chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

We almost always dry camp, so a microwave requires running the generator.

When we are cooking for 20 people, the oven comes in handy for keeping some stuff warm.

I hear you about electric kitchens. DW grew up in an all electric kitchen. Her dad was an electrician.

I grew up in a natural gas kitchen. If the pot is starting to boil over I can see the flame to adjust it to lower it. I have never figured out how to use an electric stove. There is nothing to look at but numbers on the dial and the number are meaningless.

I keep hearing that using a pizza stone in the RV oven will help even the heat out. We do not do that.

How would you bake an apple pie in a microwave? That one puzzles me. Besides biscuits, pizza, pies and cookies I doubt we will ever cook anything else in the TM oven and none of those bake well in a microwave.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
macdasher

My two cents...

We use our aftermarket microwave for most things but we find the oven indispensable for the few things it is used for. We pre-make most things and just warm them up which makes the microwave great.

But every now and then we'll grab something at the grocery store while we're out that needs a real oven like take and bake bread, pizza, pie, etc. For large premade dishes, the oven is great too as it is a more effective warming device. The more people you find yourself camping with, the more you'll want more cooking options. We're actually looking at a little outdoor grill unit just to up our cooking space!

Having both is ideal in our opinion. Good luck either way and happy camping!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
hhoenig

You can also store more things in an unused gas oven than in a microwave. We use the oven on rainy days, when the kids make pizza.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote