TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Labs4us

Question Towing Set Up Advice (Astro Van)

Hi everyone, my wife and I just ordered a 2005 3124 KB the other day and was wondering if I could get some input or advice about my towing situation.
First we are going to tow with our 2003 Chevy Astro van AWD (factory tow package/ 3:42 rear gear) - I am purchasing a model 1722B Equa-lizer hitch (1000 lbs model) and a prodigy brake controller.

I have towed many trailers, but not many with brakes - and none with a WDH.
We are fairly new to camping and trying to educate ourselves about this whole WDH towing deal.

Do any of you Astro/Safari owners use a set of the extended mirrors or do the factory mirrors work fine?

Does the factory tow package wiring harness have a large enough (key hot) power wire to run the fridge in 12V mode while traveling? (dealer says the wire size should be no less than 10 guage).

Any and all advice will be greatly appreiciated!!!

Brad
Old 03-26-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Bruce

Default Lower Gears

Hi Brad,
I would try to get the 3.73 (or is it 3.71?) gears for towing your 3124 although it can be done with the gearing you have now.
How many people are coming along and how much gear are you packing?
As I have said before the best way to find out what your tow capacity really is is to find out your gross combined vehicle weight rating. To do this you need to call GM and give them your vin #. Your GCWR will probably be somewhere around 9500 lbs with the axle ratio you have.
The next step is to have your fully loaded and ready for camping tow vehicle and camper weighed (and be ready to be surprised).
If you fall under the GCWR then you are road legal though still probably a bit undergeared.
I use the McKesh mirrors. Easy on and off though they are on the overkill side of the equation. The passenger side mirror is almost useless. It is very difficult to get it to hold it's adjustment. They are noisy too. The nylon strap vibrates. Did you ever hold a piece of grass between your thumbs, cup your mouth on your thumbs and blow? It makes a similiar sound.
The first year we went out with our rig we drove all the way to Oregon before I thought it might be a good idea to get an extension mirror. I got one of those strap on models at an auto parts store and it worked fine.
I think you are required by law to be able to see a certain distance behind your trailer. Check your state's towing regs.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bruce -

There have been a number discussions about the passenger side McKesh mirror holding (or losing) adjustment, and about the noise from the passenger side strap. A search on McKesh ought to turn them up, but I recall two conclusions.

1. In my case (and a couple others, as I recall), the mirror lost its adjustment every time my wife got out of the car and SLAMMED the door shut. She is a natural-born door-slammer, but once I convinced her to be more gentle, the problem went away.

2. The strap noise on the passenger side is easily cured by reversing the direction of the winding ratchet. This puts the strap against the door for more of its length, just like the driver's side, which kills the wind-induced vibration. Making the change involves unwrapping the strap all the way, removing the ratchet and the spindle, and putting them back in the reverse direction. Easy to do, no tools required.

HTH

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote