TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
coralcruze

Default Propane regulator hoses and alarms

So my TM is a 2720 2005 model year. Everything I am reading here and online seem to suggest that regulator should be switched out every 15 years and rubber pigtails every 5 years. The propane alarm 5 years of service life. I am thinking that I am nearing or exceeding that time frame.

Does everyone agree with the above? And what about the main supply hose that goes from the regulator to the RV? Also what about the tanks themselves? I think those should be dated correct? Anyone know how long those are good for?

So what I want to do is switch out parts that need to be replaced pro-actively befor there is an issue. Obviously however I am not wanting to add to landfill by prematurely replacing anything that does not need to be replaced. So guidance on that would be appreciated. I would also like to get recommendations or brands on the following:

1. 2-20 lb. Propane vertical tanks.
2. Propane Pigtails
3. Propane automatic switch regulator
4. Propane main hose.
5. Propane and CO detector

And... no there isn't a thing wrong with any of the above on my camper but here again what I am reading is that these components have a shelf life and should be replaced pro-actively.

Thanks in advance to everyone who has been so helpful ��
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
mickmanor

Default Squirrels chew on rubber hose…

I went with

1/4 inverted rv propane hose with gauge 20” stainless

Fairview 2 stage regulator

Working good.

Happy camping

Amazon
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

The propane/co detector is good for only 60 months. You can look at the back to see the made by date.
Your tanks should have a date or dates stamped on the hand hold ring. Propane tanks have a 12 year cycle. They have to be inspected after that, or you will not be able to get them serviced.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
The propane/co detector is good for only 60 months. You can look at the back to see the made by date.
Your tanks should have a date or dates stamped on the hand hold ring. Propane tanks have a 12 year cycle. They have to be inspected after that, or you will not be able to get them serviced.
I just went though the whole propane tank thing. Our tanks are 12-years old (horizontal) and no one will fill them. They have to be certified and I could not find anyone that would certify my horizontal tanks because replacing the OPD valve is part of the certification. It's cheaper to buy new tanks (in CA) than to certify the old ones.

You can use the cheaper vertical tanks but (if yours are horizontal) you have to customize the brackets to secure them when traveling. Then when you set up, you have to take them out of the brackets and set then on the ground to use them. Then, put them back when you get ready to move again...... giant PITA.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Wayne,

I used our local Amerigas dealer to have my horizontal tanks recertified. It cost $25 including a full tank of propane. The new certification is good for 5 years.

Is this location near you? https://www.amerigas.com/propane-gri...ecertification

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
coralcruze

Thank you guys alot of good information here. I do have an Amerigas location near me I believe so if need be I can take it there. Thanks so much.

Oh also Bill mention in another thread that it's a good idea to get pressure checked so went ahead and purchased a digital manometer and once all set up I will be testing for leaks and WC pressure.

Any other reccomendation on pigtail and regulators I should be looking at? Especially the main service line from the regulator to the TM. Anyone know the size of threads and length of tube I should be getting?
Old 07-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

These are what I bought to replace my hoses. One of my hoses developed a leak at the fitting into the regulator. I measured the old hose, and added a few inches to reduce the bend stress when connecting to the tanks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 07-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
coralcruze

Question.. can't you just swap out the tanks at say a home depot? Why go through the trouble of recertification? Maybe a dumb question.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Vertical tanks yes, horizontal tanks no.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
... I could not find anyone that would certify my horizontal tanks because replacing the OPD valve is part of the certification.
Really? Never heard of, or experienced this. When I took my horizontal tanks in for recert, the tech emptied the propane in them into a big tank, then went through the recert process, then filled the tanks, giving me credit for the amount he emptied. Maybe you need to try another propane shop?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote