TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #21
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

FWIW: I was a sales rep at a very large So Cal RV dealership. I watched sales resp come and go. Most of them didn't know ANYTHING about tow vehicles, weight ratings, or anything much more than the RVs they were selling (And some of them didn't even know that much). BE VERY WARY of what an RV rep tells you. Very few ever owned an RV, (or towed one), although they would tell you "Oh yeah, I own one just like this!" Better to get advice from forums like this, and the manufacturers of the equipment you have, and the ones you are contimplating buying.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #22
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Moving "forward", to further shorten the bars, won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I went to etrailer.com and took a quick look at the Reese Pro. E-trailer does not do a real good job of laying out descriptions and specs, but it is a start.

The good news is that the lift bracket position is adjustable. Nominal is 27-1/2" back from center of coupler, but it can be moved forward as much as 3 inches to 24-1/2 inches "to clear objects on the frame". This three inches of adjustability doesn't do you any good? I'm surprised - it is a narrow (front to back) bracket.Bill
At 27-1/2" inches, the rear-most lit bracket position is "running into" the swing hitch (the cross bars and the reinforcement bars above and below). It's too short already.

But, at a minimum length of 24-1/2", it is still much too long to fit entirely on the swing portion. The entire range of "adjustability" falls within "no man's land", conflicting with the swing hitch.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, so a longer bar is needed. Good to know.

For years, I towed my 2002 TM and my 2006 TM, both with swing hitches, with a Reese WDH with trunnion springbars and chain lifters. Dual cam sway control devices for the trunnion bars were available, but I never needed them, so I never bought them. I cannot find my records of the specific hitch, but it was very much like the Reese RP6441. The specs for this one say "Lift-bracket positioning: mount about (emphasis mine) 30" back from hitch ball, optional mounts that take up less space on a trailer frame are available."

Given the number of us that use WDH systems to tow TMs that have swing hitches, this whole thing should be a non-issue. The initial choice of the Reese Pro may have been misguided, and the salesman may have been - ahem - less than an expert (as Kmikesell mentioned), but that in itself should not be a barrier to ownership. The OP has other issues to deal with, so he/we should be able to move on.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:00 PM   #24
Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Oh man....... I asked about factory tow package for that reason and the transmission cooler as well. I missed that they installed an aftermarket hitch.

Good catch Rich..... I definitely would not put a WDH on an aftermarket hitch. If they lose that trailer hitch on the road, it wouldn't be pretty.

Been there, done that and that was a factory hitch.
SO we checked the mounting points and it has six. Uhaul's website also list it as being compatible with a weight distribution system. We have the one for the maximum tongue weight that they sell. We have decided that we will definitely get a truck next year and we will just bring it home for now. Do you think that we can at least use it once or twice for an hour drive or are we just better off waiting until next year when we get the truck?
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #25
Onyrlef

If you've got the WDH hooked up and adjusted properly, brakes working and weight on your steer wheels, I don't see why you can't take it out if you take it easy. However if those brakes on the TM aren't dialed in it's going to either snatch you back or push you ahead when you brake. The weight of the tow to the TV is my concern, but if you go easy until you're confident with the handling you should be fine.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3124kb, qx60, swing hitch, towing, weight distribution