TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
JBhaven

Default Weight distribution hitch use with swing hitch?

Hi All, We are receiving our new 2020 model 2720QD this week. It has the swing hitch installed from the factory. Question, Can I use something like a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch on our new Trailmanor with the swing hitch?
We are super excited about getting our trailer and want to be sure we don't damage it with a weight distribution sway control hitch. Any suggestions. Some say we don't need sway control at all, but I sure would feel better having it. We tow with an old 1997 GMC Sierra that is in pristine shape with 59,000 miles on it. I would not hesitate installing a Blue ox hitch, but don't know if the swing part of the trailer frame makes it an issue.
Thanks to all who would share knowledge on this subject.
John
JBhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

When I bought my 2011 TM from the factory I installed a Blue Ox which I used for about 5 years. It is a great hitch with only one drawback, It is very heavy. The head that goes into the receiver on your TV is about 100 lbs and that you still have the two bars and brackets that install on the frame of the TM. It adds that extra head weight to your TV. I used the hitch for 5 years and the changed over to a Anderson hitch on my brothers recommendation, as he was using the Anderson on his TM. I never looked back. The Anderson hitch total weight is 60 lbs. The head also holds the antisway device. Since I was not getting any younger lugging that 100 lb Blue Ox head around was getting to much for me. Look up the Anderson Hitch on their website and they give you a great explanation as to how it works. Good luck with your TM.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Over the Forum's many years, the only issue that has ever surfaced with using a WDH with the TM swing tongue is that on some non-standard hitches (I seem to recall Curt?), the springbar has a non-standard length, and the tips end up just below the swing tongue hinge. This makes it impossible to mount the spring bar hanger bracket on the TM A-frame. But this issue has come up only once or twice in 20-odd years.

Regarding sway. A WDH in itself does not prevent sway. But as you probably have read here, TMs are designed and built not to sway, so no anti-sway mechanism is required. Some WDHs have built-in sway control, and there is nothing wrong with that, but you are paying for something you don't need.

The cost of a WDH varies widely. Before you take a second mortgage on your house, I would go to pplmotorhomes.com or eTrailer.com, read their tutorials about WDHs in general, and browse through their selection. Many of us use a plain unadorned trunnion WDH from Reese or similar, with 600 pound springbars. It is hundreds less than the fancy ones.

There are also good tutorials from our towing experts here on the forum. Look in the TM Tech Library at

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...splay.php?f=42

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
eddugo

I am also a big fan of the Anderson. Been using mine for six years. If you have the horizontal front tanks, you may have a problem with the lower frame being too close to tighten the chains. If you search "Anderson Hitch" on this forum, you will see what I had to do to get mine to work. Also, I own a Blue ox and do not use it because I think the Anderson is much better.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

I'm not sure about this, Ed. The WDH swing-up bracket is outside the A-frame - the horizontal tanks are inside. I ran with a Reese WDH, swing tongue, and horizontal tanks, for almost 15 years. No problem at any time. Do you have a specific example of this problem? It might help a lot of people.

Bill
Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
JBhaven

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I ordered the Andersen model 3324 today and hopefully it will fit properly. If not, I will have to figure out how to make it work. The lack of weight was a no brainier over the blue ox. I sold my blue ox with the Lance model 1685 we had recently. We loved the Lance and this trailmanor adventure will hopefully work out for us. We had issues with storing the Lance, so parking the trailmanor in the garage was/is very appealing. The fast responses to my question show this is an awesome group of people. Thanks again for the insight and sharing of experience. In sure I will have a bunch more questions as our adventure unfolds. John.
JBhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Once you have the hitch brackets sitting in the proper place and distance from the head you might have to add a extra link to your chains which is easy to do. It does not matter to lengthen the chains or shorting them. It is more important to have the brackets sitting in the right place and not interfering with slide outs or propane bottles. The chain extenders can be found at most reputable Hitch Shops. With the adjustment nuts all the way backed off, your chains should be just slack so that you can get your angle bracket attached to your head without any problem. One thing that Anderson recommends is that once you have the brackets in the right place is to have a small weld bead run at one side of the bracket to the TM frame so that the brackets don't move due to the tremendous tension on the chains. The brackets are held on by a lower and upper bolt around the frame. Hope this is not to much info but if you need more help this forum is the place to come to.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
eddugo

Bill; The extra framing member that the tank support is welded to gets in the way of the tensioning nuts - at least on mine. I had to add spacers to get the nuts away from that frame to be able to use the Anderson. picture 5 of 5 shows it spaced out.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...anderson+hitch

Also i think the Anderson preserves the swing hitch. While other WD hitches put pressure up or down, the Anderson compresses the joint as the chains are tightened horizontally.

Also, those that need to shorten the chains may want to consult with Anderson first - i think you can remove only 2 links w/o effecting performance.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Bill- The Andersen is a whole different animal. I had the same issue as Ed, and stole his solution. The Andersen WDH does 99% of everything they say it does; I’ve had an issue with noise. But otherwise, I’m a fan.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Interesting, and thanks for the info. I guess I've not been close enough to an Anderson to have seen this. I'll stash away this nugget for the next time the issue comes up (as it does about once a year), so I can give a better answer.

Bill