TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2016, 04:42 AM   #11
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterOC View Post
I'm due for new tires. Sounds like these Load Rated D tires are an upgrade from the Load Rated C Goodyear Marathons I have currently.

What's the consensus: Does going up a Load Rating give you more margin from a blowout? I really want to stay as far away from blowouts as possible (I'm leaning towards Maxxis tires due to their reputation). However, would Taskmaster D's be better? Different kind of better?

I don't need the extra load carrying capability, but would sure like the extra margin from a supposedly stronger tire.

Any common wisdom here?
That is the general idea increase the load rating without upgrading to a 15" tire/wheel. I went with Kumho, but I have no brand loyalty.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
jswinner

Craigrrr: Thanks for posting this, picked up a pair for myself.
jswinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinner View Post
Craigrrr: Thanks for posting this, picked up a pair for myself.
No problem.

I am very happy with them seem to wear well actually shows no wear in 2k miles . I am leaving again tomorrow for another 1k trip .

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Some points:
1) Going from LRC/6PR to LRD/8PR (Load Range replaced Ply Rating some time ago) does imply a stronger tire that can handle a higher inflation pressure.
2) the "Nylon tread-firming belt" aka "Nylon cap" aka "Nylon overlay" is a very good thing as it prevents tread separation. The extra belt will also appear on the sidewall.
3) ST or Special Trailer just implies a 65 mph max speed. Some tires allow 70 if you increase the pressure 5 psi.
4) 14" vs 15" has nothing to do with Load Rating
5) GVWR for my 2720SL is 4217 lbs (includes tongue weight) so any tire with a max over 2000 lbs should be fine.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
momto4girls

I apologize is you answered this question somewhere else... Where did you have the tires installed? We need new tires for our TM, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
New tires arrived yesterday the Taskmaster Load range D ST215/75/R14 replaced the Marathon LR C tires. had them balanced and metal valves installed.

Now only time and travel will tell how good they are. The seem nice and I like the tread pattern. Looks like it would be a good tire for rainy weather too. Which is good as I am going to the midwest this coming spring , ya know those April showers

This is off the web " Taskmaster Tires and Wheels - TTWTRTM2157514D

Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 8 and a 2,200-lb max load at 65 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 14" wheels.

Features:

Special trailer tire design provides the strength of a bias tire, as well as the durability and stability of a radial tire
Created specifically for trailers and not intended for use on other vehicles
Radial tire is constructed with double steel belts and double polyester cords for a long life
Great for highway use
Nylon tread-firming belt overlays help prevent tread separation
Tread depth bars offer a quick visual indicator of tread wear
Meets DOT specifications and exceeds FMVSS

Specs:

Tire size: ST215/75R14
Section width: 8.5"
Outer diameter (when inflated): 27"
Capacity:
Load range: D
Ply rating: 8
Maximum load: 2,200 lbs at 65 psi
Tread depth: 10/32"
Max speed: 81 mph (speed rating M)
2-Year limited warranty"
Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #16
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I apologize is you answered this question somewhere else... Where did you have the tires installed? We need new tires for our TM, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about this.
I had mine mounted and balanced with new steel stems at discount tire. with free balance when ever I come in for it. I had tires put on my suburban the day before these came by UPS and I asked the guy there he told me to just bring them in 10 bucks per tire /wheel remove old and re-mount and balance .

If you go to a particular tire shop and they have record that you spend money with them most of the time they will do little favors like this.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #17
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Maxxis YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterOC View Post
I'm due for new tires. Sounds like these Load Rated D tires are an upgrade from the Load Rated C Goodyear Marathons I have currently.

What's the consensus: Does going up a Load Rating give you more margin from a blowout? I really want to stay as far away from blowouts as possible (I'm leaning towards Maxxis tires due to their reputation). However, would Taskmaster D's be better? Different kind of better?

I don't need the extra load carrying capability, but would sure like the extra margin from a supposedly stronger tire.

Any common wisdom here?
I love my Maxxis tires and since I have gone to them I have had no issues what so ever. Definitely go to a higher load range and if you go beyond 65 psi, you will need new rims that can handle higher pressure as well. You'll pay a bit more for the Maxxis...but isn't less worry worth it? I always buy the road hazard warranty at Discount tires. It's paid off more times than I can remember. For $35 if anything happens you get a new tire....so if one of my Maxxis tires goes wonky, I get a $140 tire mounted and balanced for $35! Not a bad deal and Discount tires are all over the country too!

Tom ....loves his 16" Maxxis load range "E" tires
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #18
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

And Discount is a great company (they've never done me wrong)..

("short story")

we've taken a couple cross country trips to visit family / friends in NY.

The second to last NY trip we took in our Sienna, we also towed our old trailer (1998 Damon Camplite 2408 SLE tandem axle pop-up). On the way out, in PA, shortly after we switch drivers and my wife was driving, she says "Hey hon... there is a light on dash..." The low tire pressure light. we had a flat on the passenger-side rear. She pulls over and I unload the back of the van (to get the jack, etc), change the tire and we get back on the road. Fortunately, we were close enough (<10 Mi) to a town in PA that was large enough to have a tireshop that was open on Saturday afternoon. We gtet the tire changed and get back on the road.

After visiting friends in NYC, we are headed to Buffalo, we'd just switch drivers (starting to see a theme here?) and I am settling in to take a nap, when she says "...and they're pulling me over". State trooper does a visual inspection of the rig and says "Passenger. Get out of the vehicle!". I climb out and he reads me the riot act (rightfully so) about the condition of the tires on my van and a challenged tire on the trailer. The van's front tires are slick (good for dragraces, bad for passenger vehicles) and the trailer tires are cracked, with one of them missing a fair chunk of the tread. On-top of that, our trailer's license plate was missing (it had "blown off" a number of years ago and replacing it would have been a challenge given that I did not have valid title for the trailer). Further, I did not have a current insurance card (though I had current insurance) and could not provide proof that I was the owner of the trailer. Somehow, through all that, he let us go, with a warning, advising us that we pull a head to the fairly ample shoulder just down the road, and put our spare tire on the trailer. We did pull ahead to the shoulder and realized that our vehicle jack will not lift the trailer. Fortunately, we were close enough to a tireshop that had saturday hours. They swapped our spare and we were on our way. In Buffalo, I was not able to find anything shop that was more than regional to get the tires fixed. I checked (given that I had purchase the van and trailer tires at discount) and the closest one was in Ohio. I spoke to the Discount Tire in Ohio (explaining our situation, and that we would be on our way home, which would take us right by their shop), and they said not to worry, just keep them updated on our progress and the would get us in.

We call the morning we leave buffalo and advise them as to estimated arrival (per GPS). I update them a couple times en route, and show up to the shop. They pull 5 guys from other jobs and replace 9 tires (4 on the van, 5 (including spare) on the trailer. Because i always by the certificates, the bought the PA tire and replaced the separated trailer tire (warranty), though the trailer tires were 5 years old (per the date stamped on the sidewall). Basically, I got 9 tires for the price of 7 and they did the whole job in 45 minutes.

last trip to NY in the van was without the camper. the whole trip was relatively uneventful, until the ride home. We are on I40 about 40 miles inside the New Mexico Border and get a flat on the rear of the van. Unfortunately, it i late in the day on Saturday and there isn't a tireshop. We decide to continue on to the night's stop (Albuquerque). Unfortunately, about 40 miles east of Alb, we get another flat. Roadside assistance picks us up and brings us to Alb. Our hotel ends up being 1 mile from a PepBoys (they have sunday hours). We drop the van off at pepboys (so they can get it going first thing in the morning). After they replace 2 tires and we get home, I go my discount tire (monday after the trip), and they buy the pepboys tires and put our tires on.

TLDR: Discount Tires will ALWAYS have my business.

(Sorry I hijacked this thread)

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #19
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up good story

Although after reading it all, I did get TIRED!

Tom...and some PUNishment
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Guess I am strange. When the OEM Goodyears were half worn I stated seeing the traction control light come on and felt a little squirrely in the ran so switched out for a set of Michelins.

Of course this is colored by two things:
Heavy rain (frog stranglers) are common in Florida
Used to race a B/P Corvette in SCCA and topping out in fourth, the last thing you need is a bad tire.

So am a bit biased but have a lot of Michelins.

One thing confuses me about the Taskmasters. You said they were a ST tire with a M (81 mph) rating. Isn't that a contradiction ?