TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
live2shopnc

Default Towing

Will I need a WD/Sway controll hitch to tow my 2720SD with my GMC 2500HD 4x4 SB?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Towing

Based on my experience with a 2-WD 1500 Suburban, I would say no. Others on the site may disagree. It seems to be a subjective judgement. My impression is that very few people with big tow vehicles have problems with either sway or sag, but sag seems to be more of a problem than sway. That might be an interesting line-item on the profile sheet, or a separate spreadsheet that shows how the various owners have their rigs configured.

I would be interested in seeing such a chart, and it might provide some valuable guidance to new owners, since this is such a common question. In our case, we were afraid to pull the Coleman we owned previously a few miles to the dealer without the sway-bar, because the sway was so bad. With the TM, there is absolutely no sway tendency that I can detect even with a strong crosswind on a two-lane road full of 18-wheelers.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Joe

We tow a 2720SL with a 1992 2WD Suburban or a 2001 GMC Sierra. We use the equalizing bars because our first TV was an Olds Station Wagon and we really needed them for that. We towed the 2720SL once without the Equalizers (using the Suburban) and felt that the ride was more unsteady (bouncy) than with them.
Because we already have them, we use them. It is very little trouble to hook them up and we think it rides better.

Joe & Ann
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
jniles

I agree with G_V_Driver. You really do not have to have either weight distribution (unless rear squats more than a couple of inches) or sway control however WDH will improve the ride, and controlability. Sway control just adds one more safety feature that you don't need until you need it. I have WDH and 2 Anti-Sway bars with my set up and the hitch manufacturer suggests only one Anti-Sway bar for trailers below 24' trailer length. Two is still better. I have pulled units and construction equipment for more than 30 years and I have never pulled a better handeling trailer than our TM, it is a real pleasure when you have seen the rest.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
camperboy

Can't agree more. Sway bars or other form of sway control is debatable, but the WDH improves things even with heavy TVs. I use a Equalizer hitch (http://www.equalizer.com) which has built in sway along with the WDH function. Another strong vote for WDH.

Camperboy
Old 02-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Windbreaker

Quote:
GMC 2500HD 4x4
I pull with a 1500HD 4x4. Save your money for the gas bill!

No sway, no sag.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
azroadrunner

I pull our 3124KS with a 2500LD 4x4 and have no problem pulling without either sway or sag. HOWEVER, I choose to use the WD because it makes the ride SO much better. It's at the end of the day that you really appreciate the better ride.

Jim
Old 02-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=azroadrunner link=board=23;threadid=1664;start=msg11771#msg1177 1 date=1076347527]
I pull our 3124KS with a 2500LD 4x4 and have no problem pulling without either sway or sag. HOWEVER, I choose to use the WD because it makes the ride SO much better. It's at the end of the day that you really appreciate the better ride.

Jim
[/quote]

I agree with azroadrunner. You don't need a WD hitch but the difference in ride comfort is amazing. I use a WD hitch with my F250 / 2720SL just to stop the bounding on less than perfect roads.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Will I need a WD/Sway controll hitch to tow my 2720SD with my GMC 2500HD 4x4 SB?
We first towed our 2619 with a 1992 Ford Aerostar 4.0L, w/factory tow package. We did not need a WD hitch, but after the first trip I had a friction sway bar installed. Greatly improved the sway from big rig slip stream effects.

Our second tow vehicle was a 1997 Ford F150 4.6L w/factory tow package. Again, we did not need a WD hitch and continued to use the sway bar.

My experience with the TM is that you won't need the WD hitch, but you may decide to add a sway bar after a trip down the interstate.