TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
iping4u

This century, very funny!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well it is true. When I was a kid, the only people with sixes were those who could not afford a V8. But then I grew up with Jags and Corvairs and Fieros and learned the differences between even fire and odd fire and the value of DOHC. My Reattae have iron 3800s and the Vixen a straight six 2.4 liter TD. All products of the 1900s.

Also have a V8, a warmed over iron 400 designed in the '50s with a 4 speed and posi for when feeling like going to a track but its purpose is not to be a daily driver. With a carb and point ignition it will also survive EMPs (though might need to replace the alternator's regulator)

Have an '06 Crossfire 6 speed (Fiero replacement) but the 3.2 liter SOHC FI 6 is really a product of the last century with fixed valves and an early variable intake to spread the torque curve. So something of a transition vehicle.

The '12 heep OTOH has a 3.6 liter DOHC FI engine with variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust. Only thing missing is direct injection but was not available on gas engines for tow cars in '12. This means 90% of the peak torque is available from below 2000 to over 6000 rpm. It can also run on E85.

Coming into 2015, the big thing will be DI which allows near diesel compression on trash gas. We are talking 200 hp/liter for a streetable car which is amazing.

So to stop rambling a bit, the issue is that for the same displacement a six produces more torque (towing power) than an eight and is easier to tune for more. Since a modern 3.5ish liter six now produces over 300 hp and has a very wide torque band, as far as I am concerned that is the answer. I also like the sound of a healthy six better than an eight as a side benefit. Do find a wide torque band coupled to an 8 speed lockup trans humorous. Though occasionally a granny first would be nice.

If someone wants to discuss why the above is true, perhaps a new thread under TVs would be appropriate.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Not sure what you're asking, but Ford introduced their 3.5L twin turbo V6 in 2011. It has direct injection with 365 HP and produces 420 lbs of torque at 2500 rpm's. It coupled with a six speed trans and a 3.73 non-slip rear end is impressive to tow with. In a F150 this set up has a 11,500 pound tow capacity.

I recently used mine in to tow my TM through the Eastern Sierras and went over both Sherwin and Deadman's Summit (8300 ft & 8500 ft). I used my cruise control and never dipped below 62 MPH, could have gone 75 if I wanted to.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I am corrected and that is impressive, must admit my last Ford I used as a DD was a 1961 T'bird in '63 and it wasn't mine.

Does verify my point that to make real power on trash gas today takes DOHC with VVT on both i&e and direct injection. Do like the 20+ MPG I get (18.5 mpg bringing the TM home) just with a naturally aspirated 3.6 but then I live near sea level.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
iping4u

I took about a 100 mile each way trip this weekend. My wife and daughter followed in a different car because my Nissan V6 has an extended cab but too small for all of us and her dog. I was a little worried but it towed OK. A little struggle going up long grades but on the flat I was able to get up to 65 easy but I drove a little slower. At times it didn't seem like I even had a trailer attached until I look out the rear view mirror. No doubt I need a better two vehicle but for now the Nissan is good. A little crowded sharing the floor space with the dog but I am looking forward to going without any guests, just the two of us.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

this is grt , glad you let us know, thought maybe you be ok in the flatland, now you know, but can keep a eye out for a new to you tv, but you do not have to be in a rush,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just made a 240 mile RT to Sarasota this week and no problems. 290 hp was pleanty for even brisk accelleration and recorded 17.7 mpg for 327 mile total on tank (including puzing around for a couple of days all with air on and through some torrential rainstorms on return. Having a 26 gallon tank is nice.

65 mph at 1800 rpm in top/locked was effortless though did unlock for a few overpasses. Crept up on me a few times but keeping to tires 65 mph ST rating for first outing. Tires stayed cool, hubs felt warm but that was mainly from brakes I think..

Adjusted trailer brakes so could just feel when manually actuated while coasting. Did seem a little grabby in very low speed (10-15) traffic before I entered the freeway, is this common for a cheap controller ?

Was about 3-4 mpg below unenumbered. Suspect those that only drop 1 mpg are big V8s getting less than 15 without.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Padgett, Not sure which brake controller you're using, but the Tekonsha Prodigy that many here use, is very reliable. I had one in my old F150, before my upgrade and it worked flawlessly, in fact I removed it and gave it to my son-in-law. He tows the TM too. Once you dial it in you'll never have to change it, unless you change the size of load.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
iping4u

OK now I have made a couple more short about 40 mile trips on pretty flat land and its doing OK. I did take my year 2000 3023 to a sand and gravel place near my house to have it weighed. I have Air Conditioning in the rear, two propane bottles and a battery in the front, water in the water heater and a little personal stuff inside I would guess less than 75 lbs. I weighed in at 3660 lbs. My 1995 Nissan pickup with a V6 has a tow rating of 3500 lbs. It tows pretty good and I have not felt unsafe at any time. We are planning on newer bigger tow vehicle real soon but I do feel fine with my Nissan.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by iping4u View Post
OK now I have made a couple more short about 40 mile trips on pretty flat land and its doing OK. I weighed in at 3660 lbs. My 1995 Nissan pickup with a V6 has a tow rating of 3500 lbs. It tows pretty good and I have not felt unsafe at any time.
I'm glad you are planning to upgrade your tow vehicle. If your experience is limited to a few short trips, on flat land, involving smooth conditions and no emergency situations, that doesn't tell you much. It especially does not let you conclude that it is safe.

The rubber meets the road when things are going wrong, not when they are going right. Think slick wet pavement, sharp curve banked the wrong way, blowout on the trailer, sand or gravel on the pavement, sudden strong wind gust as you come out from behind an obstacle, an idiot driver who suddenly pulls out in front of you - you get the idea. These situations are all too common, and only after you have weathered some can you conclude that your rig is safe.

Just my rant - but I truly believe it, having been through most of them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, towing speed, truck upgrades