TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I would not bother looking into a Class IV hitch. Could you find one that could fit the Flex and be rated for your tongue weight? Probably. Is that a good idea? I don't think so. While the hitch may be your limiting factor, something else might be as well. Think about suspension components you'd be maxing out, especially springs or struts, the weight limits of your rear axle and tires, and furthermore, how tongue weight adversely affects maneuverability of your setup. Getting up to speed is never the issue, it's maneuvering at speed and stopping, especially in a panic stop.

Regardless, tongue weight is only part of your problem. Gross weight is the other demon on your shoulder, as you've seen first hand with your Excel wizardry, and for that I defer to others here that are more up to speed on that than I.

As I said before, you don't like in Kansas, and you don't want to have to weigh the kids' shoes before they get in the car to determine if they will put you over a weight limit. You will want to throw everything in the car last minute and drive away, especially with kids, and when you do that, it's hard to be weight conscious. Remember, water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, and if you leave with everything filled (fresh water, toilet, water heater), that's hundreds of extra pounds right there.

As to your other lessons, it sounds like you are learning fast and learning well! You'll have 80% of it figured out after a few trips, and the rest of it is just gravy you pick up as you go along. That's part of the fun.

The Other Dave - We're over in England on a temporary basis, and really missing the TM. We'll be back home in Sunny SoCal soon!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

The Expedition will serve you well, it is by far the safer choice IMHO.

If the kids need USB chargers there are plenty of those around that plug into a 12v cigar lighter outlet, you don't need to get an inverter for those.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
If the kids need USB chargers there are plenty of those around that plug into a 12v cigar lighter outlet, you don't need to get an inverter for those.
We've found this one handy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TV88F2

...after learning that iPads require at least 2x as much current to charge compared to iPhones/iPods/most other phones. It is well made, and has 2 USB ports, which is bonus.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
FujiPedaler

Smile Safty, safty, safty.

The one thing that has not been mentioned enough and by far out weighs all of the other mechanical considerations is SAFTY. Not the ordinary driving when everything is hunky dorny but the moment of panic when something out of the ordinary occurs and probably not do to your driving (though it could be when you look back at the kids when someone screams) that you need all of the pluses that have to be in place to insure the greatest amount of safty for handling, breaking, steering and accelerating etc.

The pain of the extra amount of dollars spent for the best/right tow vehicle will soon fade with the pleasure you and yours will have with many years of safe and comfortable Trailmanor towing and camping.

Enjoy and safe and happy camping. We all look forward to your camping reports on this forum.

Sincerely:

Norman
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
Sauropod

Thanks for the USB and cigarette adapter links. One is now on its way thanks to Amazon.

FujiPedaler my wife sends you a virtual hug! She loved the thought about camping with the kids over the next few years and how the money costs will fade (maybe to her, I'll remember though! :-)). Looks like we are tracking down an Expedition this week...

I'll definitely update the forum as to how the TM handles the wilds of the West!