TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2003, 06:57 AM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Voyager to Prodigy Brake Control

When we bought our TM 6 months ago, the dealer installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake control in our TV. So far, it has workd fine. I have used the manual on how to adjust it, etc. If you have a Voyager, you need to read and follow the manual.

There has been some positive comments, on this board, about the Tekonsha Prodigy brake control.

If you have changed from the Voyager to the Prodigy, what do you consider the main benefits of the Prodigy over the Voyager?

Since the prodigy can be bought for just under $100 (the price is right), is it worth it to change over to the Prodigy?

How difficult is it to change from a Voyager to a Prodigy?

Since they are both made by the same company, can the wiring harness for the Voyager be used for the Prodigy?

What else would I need to know, if I make the change over from the Voyager to the Prodigy?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Voyager to Prodigy Brake Control

I started with a Prodigy so don't have the switchover experience. However, I did a lot of research first on which to buy so can help you understand the difference between the Prodigy and the Voyager.

Both are inertia style controllers...the voltage they send to the trailer brakes is proportional to the rate of decelleration they sense in the tow vehicle.

On flat terrain, the rate of decelleraton they sense is totally caused by application of the tow vehicles brakes. However, if the brakes are applied while descending a hill, the sensed rate of decelleration is a combination of the force of gravity and the force of the braking.

Where these controllers differ is how they handle braking on grades (especially on descents).

The Voyager uses a simple pendulum (which is why its sensor must be "leveled&quot...and it will apply greater braking on descents because the pendulum is affected by both gravity and the tow vehicle's braking action. On very steep descents, that can produce way too much application of the trailer brakes...even to the point of lockup. (The reverse also holds...braking while going up a grade produces less trailer brake application).

The Prodigy has a sophisticated solid state sensor that constantly keeps track of where "down" is so it can subtract out the force of gravity from the force of the tow vehicle's brakes when descending (or ascending). The net is a Prodigy always applies the right amount of braking regardless of the grade of the road.

Because Florida is pretty flat, you won't see much difference between the two in your home region. However, if you tow through the Appalachians or especially the Rockies or Sierras, you would see a large difference in performance between the two.

I chose the Prodigy simply because most of my towing is on steep mountain roads.

If you go to Tekonsha's web site FAQ (http://www.tekonsha.com/faq.html#voyager), you can compare the wiring diagrams of the two.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Russ-Bett link=board=1;threadid=1514;start=msg10685#msg10685 date=1068213471]
Since they are both made by the same company, can the wiring harness for the Voyager be used for the Prodigy?
[/quote]
I don't know, but since you have a tow package, you probably have a Ford brake control wiring harness. There are color-coded instructions attached to the Prodigy's wiring harness that tell you the four connections that have to be made between the two harnesses. Also, Tekonsha makes a wiring harness with a Prodigy end and a Ford end, which would get you out of having to solder. Tim
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
leonardbakers

Hey, where can I get a Prodigy controller for less than $100?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:30 AM   #5
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=leonardbakers link=board=1;threadid=1514;start=msg10705#msg10705 date=1068259225]
Hey, where can I get a Prodigy controller for less than $100?
[/quote]
http://rvwholesalers.com/
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #6
Bruce

I switched from the Voyager to the Prodigy due to all the positive comments about the Prodigy on this board. We had problems with the Voyager all along and the Prodigy is so much better. After a couple of brief applications of brake the Voyager would suddenly lock up the trailer brakes causing a loud clunk and snapping our heads foward. I recalibrated the Voyager many times but never could smooth it out.

Bruce