TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
eddugo

I tow a 2720Sl with a 2011 F150 Ecoboost supercab 4x4. It has only been on 2, 400 mile trips in Florida and Georgia, but I can report between 17 and 18 mpg and no lack of power in any situation. right now I only have 10,000 miles on the truck and it is still loosening, but it will get nearly 22 mpg (18 to town and back) with no trailer or load. This series of videos sold me on the engine when i was shopping for a TV:

Th last video has the tear down at the auto show.
Ed
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Not to get too excited over a vicarious experience, but....Tim...did you get, did you get it?
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 with Ecoboost, Off Road pkg. and Max tow pkg. Wow, what a great truck. I was able to get a decent trade-in value for my '03 Supercrew and negotiate a good purchase price for the new one. I will post a photo later today.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Here's a couple of photos of our new TV. We're already choppin at the bit to hook up the TM and go. We have trips planned for the Eastern Sierras early next spring and to Fort Collins, Co. early next summer. Both of these trips will give that Ecoboost engine a good test, but we can't wait until then to give this new rig a try, so we're planning a beach trip this month. I will post again after we go.

Thanks again, everyone for all of your input and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	9349   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	9350  

Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Beak12

It's been a long time sence I got a new car/truck do they still advise not going over 50 MPH for the first 500 miles?

A nice trip to test it out would be Anza Borrego State Park for a weekend, They have full hookups. If you use the Montezuma grade it would be a nice slow pull both over and back.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

There are some suggested restrictions in the owner's manual. Mostly not to tow for a certain number of miles ( a thousand if memory serves) and not to put your foot in it either. After a lot of reading in Ford truck forums, the advice from the mechanics who tear down engines for a living, was "drive it like you stole it" to set the rings. They claim it is better than taking it easy. And of course, everything you read on the internet is true . That being said we went to our first Trailmanor Rally with only 400 miles on the truck and although I drive like Mr. Tudball, I did not baby it. Everything has worked perfectly, so from a sample size of one, I don't think you have to worry too much about it. I remember the aforementioned mechanics claiming that manufacturing tolerances are so much better than in the past, that you really don't need to "break in" an engine. Just my two cents worth!
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Yeah, I think you're right Mark, everything that I've read seems to indicate that you can pretty much drive it as hard as you want. The only thing that I avoid in the "break-in perod" is driving a long distance with the cruise control set at one speed. Don' t remember why, but that's not unusual, cause there's a lot of stuff I don't remember anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Here's a couple of photos of our new TV. We're already choppin at the bit to hook up the TM and go. We have trips planned for the Eastern Sierras early next spring and to Fort Collins, Co. early next summer. Both of these trips will give that Ecoboost engine a good test, but we can't wait until then to give this new rig a try, so we're planning a beach trip this month. I will post again after we go.

Thanks again, everyone for all of your input and advice.
Nice looking rig, Tim. I think you're going to love it!

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

We are very excited today, cause we're going camping for the first time with the new TV this weekend. We decided to head to the local mountains to give the Ecoboost engine it's first towing test, besides this way I can do a little more lake fishing before the end of the season. I will report back next week with photos and an engine performance report card.

One thing I've already noticed is, how much more power it has compared to my old truck. The first time I got on the freeway and floored it, WOW, I was doing 75 before I got to the end of the on- ramp. You could really feel that 365 HP

Another real nice feature is, to fill it up with gas and have over 500 miles of driving before you need to put gas in it again; however paying for 36 gallons of gas all at once is a bit hard on the pocket book. The first 600 miles on it produced 13.9 MPG.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Just a quick update, the truck performed as expected. The campground was at 5,000 ft.; however the trip up the mountain was effortless. Overall mpg has risen to 15.6 with 1,000 total miles. The integrated brake control and factory tow mirrors with the increased horsepower and torque can really spoil you. Photos are posted in "Camping Stories"