TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Will I need a WDH?

Now that I have purchased my first trailmanor, a 2720SD, I will be purchasing a new (used) tow vehicle. I am 90% sure that I am buying a Chevy Traverse with tow package. That will have a 5200 tow capacity.

Based on 10% tongue weight that would mean 520 lbs. will this be sufficient capacity without using a WDH or should I just get a WDH?

If I need one, any suggestion on which one to get?

Where do I get one? An RV dealer? Do I need to have my Trailmanor first to verify what kind I need? I don't have my TM yet.

Or do I try towing it on my first trip before deciding if I need a WDH?

Thanks in advance

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Without a WDH typical hitch MAXIMUM ratings are 500# tongue weight and 5000# draw weight. There should be a label on the hitch giving ratings with and without a WDH. WDH's are available through many sources, on line, local hitch shops and RV dealers. Check prices. Spring bars of 750# to 1000# ratings will be more then enough for the SD.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
brulaz

Not sure about Chevrolet, but GMC has a Towing Guide which includes the Acadia (Traverse's twin). There it says that a WDH is "not required". Also that tongue weight should be max 600# (or less so as not to exceed the SUV's GVWR or rear GAWR).

500-600# limit for a class III weight-carrying hitch is pretty typical. Ford tells me I can only carry 500# on my truck's hitch.

I would load up your SUV and trailer and try towing it to the nearest scale to check the GVWR and GAWR.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just as a quick note, the 10% figure is not right. This figure is bandied about on various web sites as an absolute minimum tongue weight for any and all trailers, and it is driven by trailer sway considerations (less than 10% is likely to induce sway). In order to eliminate sway, Trail Manor tends to mount the axle further aft than others do, which increases the tongue weight. The number I have worked with for TMs is around 14%, and this agrees with the figures in the table on the TM web site.

For example, a 2720SD is listed as gross weight (dry) 2685 lb, tongue weight (dry) 392 lb. This is = 14.6%. You can expect this ratio to remain approximately constant as you add options to the TM, and constant again as you add all your "stuff". So if your optioned and loaded TM comes up to 3600-3800 pounds, numbers which are commonly reported, the tongue weight will be in the range of around 525-555 pounds.

I would not be at all comfortable without a WDH. Not only is the tongue weight over your rating, but the rear end of the Traverse will sag (pointing the headlights into the sky) and the front wheels of the Traverse will be unweighted, costing you steering control and braking. For all these reasons, I would go ahead and spend the $200-300 that a WDH will cost you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
TheSteeleFamily

Default Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Traverse

I've never towed our TM without using the WDH, but even with the WDH I'm not 100% Comfortable with the Traverse as a tow vehicle for it. I have to use the fourth chain link in order to eliminate porpoising. I wouldn't even think about towing for any distance of more than a few blocks without a WDH.

2013 Trailmanor 3124KB
570 watts of solar panels + Portables
24" Toshiba Flat screen DVD Combo
Pioneer DEH-X5500HD Head unit/CD Player with USB and mini jack on front.
3000 watt pure sine inverter
Trailer rewired with heavy Gauge welding Cable
LED's inside and out
40 Gal. Fresh upgrade.
Elec. Tongue Jack

TV - 2010 Suburban LTZ 4x4
75th Anni. Model
With Factory Heavy duty Tow Package Heavy Duty Transmission,Oil cooler,Trans cooler, Gearing.
Weight Distribution Hitch and bars.
TheSteeleFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Laura FM

My dealer - Custom RV in Ontario,CA, a very respected dealer, said that if your back bumper goes down more than three inches when you hook up the trailer then he suggests a WDH.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Just as a quick note, the 10% figure is not right. This figure is bandied about on various web sites as an absolute minimum tongue weight for any and all trailers, and it is driven by trailer sway considerations (less than 10% is likely to induce sway). In order to eliminate sway, Trail Manor tends to mount the axle further aft than others do, which increases the tongue weight. The number I have worked with for TMs is around 14%, and this agrees with the figures in the table on the TM web site.

For example, a 2720SD is listed as gross weight (dry) 2685 lb, tongue weight (dry) 392 lb. This is = 14.6%. You can expect this ratio to remain approximately constant as you add options to the TM, and constant again as you add all your "stuff". So if your optioned and loaded TM comes up to 3600-3800 pounds, numbers which are commonly reported, the tongue weight will be in the range of around 525-555 pounds.

I would not be at all comfortable without a WDH. Not only is the tongue weight over your rating, but the rear end of the Traverse will sag (pointing the headlights into the sky) and the front wheels of the Traverse will be unweighted, costing you steering control and braking. For all these reasons, I would go ahead and spend the $200-300 that a WDH will cost you.

Bill
Does tongue weight include what you might have in the back of your tow vehicle or is it just what is on the ball?
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
brulaz

The trailer's tongue weight is just what is on the ball.

But when calculating what size WDH bars you need, the manufacturers usually take into account the weight in the truck behind the rear axle, as the WDH will be lifting up that too. Equal-i-zer for example
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura FM View Post
My dealer - Custom RV in Ontario,CA, a very respected dealer, said that if your back bumper goes down more than three inches when you hook up the trailer then he suggests a WDH.
IMO, these "rule of thumb" statements can create false expectations. As stated elsewhere, many vehicle receivers have different weight carrying capacities with or without a WDH. There could be instances where a vehicle bumper drops very little, yet the owner has exceeded the receiver capacity or rear axle capacity.

The only way to know for sure is to take the trailer to a commercial scale and weigh the trailer connected and disconnected from the vehicle. Not using a WDH and recommending or endorsing undersized or underpowered vehicles are the two biggest disservices done to prospective or new owners.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
clown9644

I agree with Mr. P with these additions:

Look at the receiver on your TV. It will have a rating of how much tongue weight it can handle, which has absolutely nothing to do with the added weight in the TV. I have an F150 with a towing package, my 3023 has tongue weight of around 700 pounds. When connected the TV bumper drops about an inch, when I am going camping I have another 400 lbs in the back of the truck. Nothing sags all that much BUT I am 200 pounds over the weight limit of the hitch that Ford uses UNLESS I use a WDH.

YOU have to read the labels, contact the dealer with the VIN or go to your manufacturers web and see what YOUR specific vehicle is rated at for weights.

You can determine your tongue weight by using a house scale (visit this site for how to do it http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx) If your even close to the limit get the hitch and be done with it, I mean it is only a couple hundred dollars and you are making your investment safer in most cases (tv$ + camper$) by improving handling.

There, I hope your happy now, I sprained my ankle jumping off my soap box. Have a great and safe day.

Dave

Tags
wdh