TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
sheepdogs

Default New York to Florida

I am going from NY to Miami, leaving December 10, about. I intend to make the trip in 2 to 3 days and will be traveling with two sheepdogs (hense the screen name). Anyone have any recommendations where to stay, or not to stay. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:New York to Florida

Sheepdogs,

I highly recommend Jekyll Island Campground, Jekylll, Island, GA. We spent nearly a week there last February.

It's just South of Brunswick, GA, off I-95, exit 29. A few miles on Hwy 17 gets you to the Jekyll Island Causeway. The Campground is large, and the sites are VERY large. Live Oak trees tower above, providing a filtered shade just about everywhere. The island has miles and miles of beaches, and due to a day use fee to use the causeway, it's not bogged down with traffic during th off-season.

Here's the URL for the Campground, which also leads to maps and the whole Jekyll Island vacation planning schtick.

http://www.jekyllisland.com/camping.phtml

We were in the "E" area, but "G", "B" and "F" are equally nice. The CATV was a nice bonus.

Hope your trip is a good one!

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

This sounds like a great place to stay...

But I wanted to share my experience with parking under oak trees. We have a huge oak tree in the driveway that was hanging over the TM, and talk about "snowballing effect", H and I had to spend some time 2 weeks ago trimming the oak tree (him up on the ladder with the sawzall, me lofting the rope and pulling the limb away from him during the cutting) after we discovered how hard it was to scrub off the stains left by the oak leaves sitting on the roof. I guess they are full of tannin, and it stains badly. I scrubbed and scrubbed, even climbed on top of the roof (I think I was told that this was OK, roof hasn't caved in yet) and scrubbed, but couldn't remove all the stains. And deep cleaning the roof is not a fun project. It's hard to rinse off all the soap, etc. without getting it in the TM. I was afraid to climb on top of it fully raised, so did it kind of with that back (stained) side lowered.

If you park under oak trees for an extended period of time, sweep the roof off often.
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=B_and_D link=board=16;threadid=1410;start=msg9900#msg9900 date=1065416341]
This sounds like a great place to stay...
-----------------snip-------------------
If you park under oak trees for an extended period of time, sweep the roof off often.
[/quote]

I've stayed in Pensacola, Fla and Jekyll Isl., GA for up to a week w/out any "staining probs". Both locations feature a canopy of Live Oak trees. Don't claim to know whether or not "Live Oak" (the tall, moss draped trees) causes the staining suggested.

Apparantly, the trees are both "Live and Plantation Oaks" on Jekyll Island. Check out this Webshots (39 pics) of Jekyll Island:

http://community.webshots.com/album/75698413JKDHRv

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Those pictures are amazing. The Atlantic Coast is a long way away from here, but it is so beautiful and different from the Pacific Coast that I must see it someday. This particular campground area looks so peaceful and protected by the spreading oaks.

I did a quick internet lookup on tannin and oak trees. We have had a moth infestation in our oaks, and I read that it increases the tannin produced by the tree as a way of fighting the moths. Also, it can be very foggy here, and the leaves were probably moist (this would accelerate the leaching of the tannin from the leaves). Also, this took about 2 -3 weeks of leaves sitting moist on the TM.

Someone in the swimming pool business recommended adding more chlorine to eliminate the stains at the bottom of a pool caused by oak leaves sitting for a long period.

I might try that scrubbing bubbles product to see if it will remove the rest of the stains. They are really ON there.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
Happytrails

A good 1/3rd of your trip stopping point is at Natural Bridge Campground in Virginia just off of I-81. Not sure where you're leaving from, but I'd say it's a good 8-9 hours which is a good day's drive from NY. (Another 8-9 hours to GA from here as well). It's a beutiful campground where you can camp right next to a river. You will have to contact them to find out if they'll still be open, I know the KOA campground there at natural bridge is open all year round, and serve dinner nightly all year round. Anyway, here's the link to the area, you might have to do some digging for the info on the campground tho. They do have a lot of info on the KOA campground and can be searched out by their web site.
http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/index.html

This is about 1.5 hours from my house btw, and if you're travelling down I-81, you'll pass within about 10 miles of my house if you were curious. Anyway, hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]