TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Old Topic Need Advice

We have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer, I've tried the clip on and thank goodness my husband was fast enough to catch it so we could return to Wally world, it appears as if most of you guys prefer McKesh and before I purchase them my husband has a problem with anything touching the side of the SUV, ok guys whats your opinion will it hurt the Mercury or and is is easy to install and uninstall ? We have electric windows does this present a problem? Help! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pam ???
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Old Topic Need Advice

Get them!

You will never be sorry.

I've had mine for about a year now and have used them for over 8000 miles. No mar on the finish. Easy on and off. I would suggest that you wash the TV before using them for if there is sand/dust on the TV when you fit the mirrors that might act kind of like sand paper. I just dust the door attach them and go. No problems.

Do they still make roll type windows? I've had nothing but electric for two or three decades now and the McKesh present no problems.

I may be wrong but I think if you have a problem, like they don't fit or something you can return them.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I just received my McKesh mirrors and after looking at them very carefully, I would have absolutely no problem putting them on my new Tahoe. There is carefully placed padding at every point that would (or could) contact the truck.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Two Problems with my McKesh mirrors on my Astro Van. One is that I didn't like that way the top edge pulled down on the rubber window seal. So I now put a pencil (or dowel) under the horizontal mirror support right against the window seal. Problem solved.

The second problem is that everytime we close the righthand door to get in the passenger seat the mirror falls downward a little bit and has to be re-adjusted. Does anyone else have that problem? Or can it be tightened?

Otherwise no problem installing or damage to the finish that I can tell. They are a little big to store unless you turn the knob and collapse them. Then you have one more adjustment to make when you set up. Not a really big deal. Otherwise I really like them except when you have to drive down a narrow city street with very little clearance between you and the parked cars. Only happened once, but nearly hit another car's mirror.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:10 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[quote author=BobWilson link=board=22;threadid=1292;start=msg9011#msg9011 date=1063077222]The second problem is that everytime we close the righthand door to get in the passenger seat the mirror falls downward a little bit and has to be re-adjusted. Does anyone else have that problem? Or can it be tightened?[/quote]Bob - Yes, we have had that problem as well, and like you, almost entirely on the passenger's side. I tried torquing the locking screw down real hard, in hopes that it wouldn't move, but that also makes it harder to adjust when you have to. The real answer was to convince my wife not to SLAM the door when she gets out of the vehicle. When she remembers, it works - when she doesn't, it doesn't. Small price to pay for good rear vision, I think.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Windbreaker

Glad you said that and not me. But I too have found that to be the case.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
ColoradoCop

;D Must be something about the "passenger" closing doors, mine constantly needs readjusting after the wife gets in. Only other comment, remember not to roll the windows completely down after installing the mirrors. This puts additional strain on the door frame. Additionaly, keep the rubber edge twoards the glass clean, have developed a couple of scratches on the glass with the dust on the leading edge of the holders.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 11-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #8
Bluejeans92126

Everyone seems to like the McKesh mirrors. What do or should they cost for a pair?

I hate the junky ones I have.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #9
Windbreaker

I paid $97.50 for mine but you might get them for less. I ordered them from the net.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
Bluejeans92126

Thanks!

I did some looking around on the net and they now seem to be about $150 new and $75 or so used.

I found a site, Hensley Mfg. www.hensleymfg.com, that has them on sail for $99 + shipping. I ordered a pair.

Thanks everyone for all the info. It sure comes in handy.