TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
manorlife
BannedUsers

Default question regarding electric element in water heater

I tried searching but could not come up with the answer that I was looking for. In a boondocking situation where you fill up the water tank and presurize the system and turn on the heat element for hot water... I'm just wondering what happens if say you are taking a hot shower and you use up the last gallon of water in the system. will the electric heat element burn out since the water tank is now empty? or is there some sort of fail safe built in where it will not drain the last few gallons so the element is always submerged into water...
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Maybe I'm reading this my way but if your boon docking, your not using the electric water heater element. Your using the gas fired side of the water heater. Unless your using a generator that you have not mentioned.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Manorlife -

The water pump will not drain the water heater. I think your mental picture of the water system is not right. Take a look at one of the plumbing system diagrams, such as the one here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=435

You can see that if you start with water in the fresh water tank, and turn on the pump, and draw hot water from the shower or sinks until the fresh water storage tank is empty - the water heater will still be full.

HTH

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
moaboy

Nothing prevents one from draining the hot water tank except hopefully you would notice nothing is coming out of the cold water supply and therefore the water would also be very hot?
There is no "fail safe" per se.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Nothing prevents one from draining the hot water tank except hopefully you would notice nothing is coming out of the cold water supply and therefore the water would also be very hot?
There is no "fail safe" per se.
Water pressure is needed to push water out of the hot water tank. If you had electric hookups, but no water hookups and instead were using the fresh water tank with water pump, you would lose water pressure when the fresh water tank went dry.

The hot water tank would still be full. Only way to drain the hot water tank is the HW low point drain valve (gravity).

It's just like a home hot water heater. If you turned off your water main, the hot water heater would still be full...though without water pressure you can't get to it from your faucets. Only way to drain it is the drain valve at the bottom of the tank.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
manorlife
BannedUsers

thank you everyone... excellent responces and diagrams. it answers my question perfectly. much appreciated... the OP was just a hypothetical BTW. I would suppose that it could be simulated with a generator while boondocking. there are other situations that I can think of where you may want to use the water tank (ie no city water) and still have electrical power. again thanks everyone.
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorlife View Post
thank you everyone... excellent responces and diagrams. it answers my question perfectly. much appreciated... the OP was just a hypothetical BTW. I would suppose that it could be simulated with a generator while boondocking. there are other situations that I can think of where you may want to use the water tank (ie no city water) and still have electrical power. again thanks everyone.
Actually there are quite a few campgrounds with only electricity and no water.

We just spent a few days at Flamingo campground in the Everglades N.P. Florida and it's like that. Also many Ontario Provincial Park campgrounds have only electricity.

And if they have water, some northern campgrounds will drain their water pipes in the fall but leave the electricity on for winter camping. Geneva S.P. on Lake Erie in Ohio is like that. We usually stay there on our way to Florida in November.

So not an uncommon situation at all.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
moaboy

Many PA state parks are like that. They have electricity, but only a communal water spigot. In my book once one has electric you can get by much more easily.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Many Wisconsin sites are like this as well. In fact, in three years I have had electric 100% of the time, and only had water once (staying in a visitor's slot at a semi-permanent camping situation.)

Doing without water hookup is simple. Doing without electricity? Still trying to convince the DW it's possible...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote