TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
grkman1

Default Lexus RX 330 Towing

I have been looking at different vehicles to replace my Jeep for towing my 2619

I really like the new Lexus RX330 . Family members of mine own Lexuses and have had no trouble with them at all.

The RX330 has a tow limit of 3500lbs, like the Pilot and Ody. Has anyone had any experience towing with a Lexus?

Also I have a weight distribution hitch. Can all vehicles use this hitch? I would be ordering the factory towing package with the factory receiver.

Thanks for your imput.

George
Old 08-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re:Lexus RX 330 Towing

One thing to consider before purchasing a Lexus, it's basically a fancy toyota. I had to go to a body shop where there was a girl's very common lexus that had all four wheels and tires stolen. If memory serves me correctly, I think the replacement cost of the wheels alone was $400.00 apiece! Just the lug nuts were like 5-10.00 each! Before purchasing, call up your local Lexus dealer, give him the model you're wishing to purchase, and simply ask how much a headlight is. Tell them yours simply burned out. That will give you a pretty good idea of the replacement cost if anything should go wrong with it that wouldn't normally be covered by any warrenty. With them, you can't simply buy a new bulb, or light, you have to buy the whole assembly, which is VERY expensive for such a small problem for most other vehicles. I've been seeing stories in the news of where people rather than steal the whole car, they simply steal things like the headlights, bumpers, etc.......I'm not at all saying they're bad cars or anything, just be careful what ya find yourself in later on. Just a few thoughts. I had a friend once that was miserible because he had bought a Kia Sephia....which later on developed a problem, well, guess what? Wasn't covered by warrenty, and the ONLY people who could work on it were the dealers! (Hence he paid 2-3 times as much to fix his problem since he couldn't take it to his normal mechanic, who didn't know how to work on Kia's, nor anyone else he talked to since they were so new on the market). Just a few thoughts..........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 08-17-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
rixalex

Take a look at the latest Consumer Reports. They have a very comprehensive review of high end SUVs. They include a 0-60 test with a 3500 lb trailer. The Lexus scored very well in the CU testing (no big surprise), but note that the Honda Pilot was mentioned in the report and based on an earlier eval, it was judged to be as good if not better than the Lexus--and it costs about $10K less. The Toyota Highlander also received a very good rating during earlier testing and cost a lot less than the Lexus too. The other advantage of these rigs are the stability control systems that are included or available--I've got it on one of my vehicles and like it a lot. One final thought. After 30 years of buying only imports, I bought domestic two years ago and have been VERY pleased (true, it's not an SUV, it only seats two and it goes really really fast!). You'll find that the build quality of most high end domestic cars, while still not up to the best import standards, is very close in many cases. You should take a look at what the high end domestic manufacturers are offering these days and you may find what I did--there are some excellent choices.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
efelker

George:

You might also want to look at the new VM Tourareg. It's categorized as a luxury SUV and its tow rating for the V6 & V8 is 7700 lbs.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
grkman1

I have checked and test drove the new Touareg. It is a great vehicle but in the V6 version is extremely sluggish. Without towing its 0-60 sec takes 11.9 sec. Im just wondering how slow it would be trying to get on a highway towing the TM

The V8 was definitely better but also not that quick. For $44K I would expect a bit more power.

I realize that there are less expensive versions of what I am looking at. The Pilot Im sure does the job very well. I havent checked into the Highlander. My Grand Cherokee has almost 80K miles on it, and it has had some problems. I found out from the Lexus customer service that they make a towing package for the lexus but do not provide a hitch as yet. Possibly before the end of the year.

Thanks for your imput

George
Old 01-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
skoegler

It's January '04 and I'm wondering what you did and how it turned out. I have a Lexus RX300 that I've had for 5 yrs now and LOVE. It has the factory hitch adaptor which I'll need to check. I'm looking to get a TM, and would like to keep the Lexus if possible.

Your experience?
Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

George,

Did you look at the new Durango yet for 2004? I have had my Durango since it was new in 1998. It's been a great vehicle and it tows my 3326 TrailManor just great. I'm looking at the 2004 Durango with the Hemi. Same size motor that I have now, but 100 + hp and a lot more torque plus a lot better gas mileage than my 5.9 that I have now. They have redone the whole vehicle for 2004. Not just a face lift!!!!

The price for the new Durango is not bad at all compared to the high end imports. Also, they are redesigning the Cherokee which will be larger than the present model. It too will have the Hemi just like the Durango. From what I hear the Jeep will be available in the Spring.

Take a look at the Durango. You might be surprised what they have done. If you don't want the Hemi, they still have a smaller V8 which will tow you 2619. They have 3 different models to select from depending on how much you want to spend.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
grkman1

Well guys I finally decided and bought the VW Touareg with air suspension and V8. I am extremely please on how it tows the 2619. It has more then ample power that I barely detect it behind me, even on acceleration.

With the air suspension, the TM is constantly level. I really thought about the lexus, but when the delearship and Lexus customer service couldnt answer my questions, and when they told me that at this time they didnt have a factory receiver, I went for the Treg.

Thanks for all your help