TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
efelker

Default New VW SUV

VW just began selling their new SUV (Tourweg) in the US. It's tow rating is 7700# with the V6. The VW is based on the Porsche Cayenne chassis (guess if I were in a Porsche, I'd also be in an Airstream). Anyone out there with a TM considering this vehicle?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re:New VW SUV

Yes, I've been seeing the commercials, seems pretty beefy, wonder if the window cranks fall off after a few months like the ones in my old Rabbit? Lol (Nah, I actually do like VW's, but couldn't resist that pick on em) : Just wonder what the hitch weight rating is on them?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 08-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
efelker

Bill:

Well at least you wouldn't have to drive with one hand on the steering wheel while the other was scraping frozen condensation off the INSIDE of the windshield (Man, we loved those bugs). And at a starting price of $34,000, window cranks better not fall off.

Tongue weight rating is 616 lbs, and the actual max towing rating is 7700 lb.

That's pretty hefty for what is regarded as a mid-size SUV. It certainly beats my 4-Runner and puts it almost in the same range as a Tundra. And you are right, the frame is really beefy.

We weren't going to buy a new Tow Vehicle, but my wife loves her VWs. We've owned 11 of them since 1965 -- 7 of those have had over 100,000 miles, and one (a 90 Jetta) had 240,000 miles when we sold it. We had been toying with trading the 4-Runner for a Tundra, but my wife's just not wild about riding around in a Pickup truck (too sophisticated for that gun rack in the window and naked lady mud flaps I guess). She'd like another SUV that had greater tow capacity, but didn't want one of those behemoth's either. This vehicle seemed a good compromise on tow capability, comfort, and size (not to mention, marvelous Teutonic engineering)

Ed.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Happytrails

My dad had a bug or two, and a couple of VW Bus's, always nice cars, always wanted one, just never got one, and the new ones are simply a Golf with a bug appearance, just as the "PT Cruizer" is a Dodge Neon with a new body style. I do still admire the older ones tho! Perhaps one day I'll get one and fix it up in my garage......lol But yes, the new VW really shocked me with that tow rating for sure, who would have guessed? Nice to hear it's toungue weight rating is so high as well w/o a WD hitch.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 08-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
aulii

Ed,

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a gun rack or naked lady mud flaps on any Toyota truck

Paul
Old 08-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
efelker

Paul:

Well, had to settle on the Toyota -- couldn't find a 68 Chevy with different colored doors and a front bumper that was falling off (at least that's my wife's stereotypical view of pickups -- wait until she wants me to pick up that 1/2 ton of fresh cow manure for the garden using the 4-runner -- there's a challenge the "old reliable" Thetford couldn't handle).

Ed
Old 08-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #7
grkman1

I have driven and checked out the new Touareg as a possible tow vehicle for my 2619.

I drove both the V6 and the V8. The V6 may have a 7700 lbs towing capacity, but it is so slow w/o the trailer, that I wonder how it would do with the TM going up hills.

The 0-60 mph rating of the V6 is about 11.9 seconds. Not very good. The V6 starts at about $35000, while the V8 is in the 40's.

I drove the V8 also. Pretty good pickup but both these vehicles are about 5200 lbs. I guess this is why they can tow so much.

George
Old 10-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Cya3124
Site Sponsor

I'm towing with a 2010 TDI Touareg. Hardly knows the TM is back there.

Necro thread for sure. Just trying to see when a post of mine will show up.

ETA: Well, that worked. Wonder how long until my thread shows up? Maybe until I'm no longer a trial member, I guess?
Cya3124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

You answered a old post. As to when it posts to the forum, its as soon as you hit return. Now, that doesn't mean you'll see a response, but people do read the forum.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:46 AM   #10
Cya3124
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
You answered a old post.
Hence the necro post reference.

Quote:
As to when it posts to the forum, its as soon as you hit return. Now, that doesn't mean you'll see a response, but people do read the forum.
Posts, I see, post right away. I started a new thread as an intro and it said it was being moderated. Just wondering how long until it showed up in the list.
Cya3124 is offline   Reply With Quote