TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Matt View Post
Like:
Dislike:

* Can't run the propane fridge on the road
Who says that you can't run the propane fridge on the road? We do it all the time (over 40 camp-outs and 15,000 miles).
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Patrice

Oh my gosh, you guys are wonderful. All the info is great. We enjoy going so much and like to travel thoughout the US to different spots. My son and I travel alot on weekends. I do not mind pulling a pop up and felt this would be very much like that since it is a low profile trailer. We pull with a 09 Silverado. It is rated to pull bigger than a TM. As for space and bending over, it is similar to a pop up and that does not bother me.

As one person mentioned that they go to the bath houses at campgrounds... we would likely do this as well for showers as we don't mind. We even did this years ago when we had our TT. I am not real familiar with the recirulating toilet but feel that it would not be a big challenge especially since hearing from all of you. I think if I was going from a TT to a TM it might be more difficult but I feel that this is a huge step up from a Pop Up. We currently pull a 1207 Jayco, which is not a problem. It has been a great pop up but am really ready for the TM. Thanks for all your advise and keep them coming. I will keep you posted if we purchase one.
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
We camped first in a tent, then a VW Westphalia and then a Class C Rockwood 22' and now we have a 3124KS from TM. Most on the forum would tell you that towing the TM, with the right vehicle and equipment, is pretty much a breeze. In fact, if there was a flaw it would be that sometimes you forget you're towing something. I've been in really severe weather with the TM while on the road and while set up and it holds up will in both situations.

Generally, my wife hates towing stuff. I'm not a big fan either. That said, the TM is plenty roomy when set up and not really so difficult to fold up either. Most of the fold up problem is putting all the "stuff" away but you get that with any type of camping set up. It does sometimes take a little oomph to fold up the TM so I'd try it a few times and see if you can handle it.

There are many really good modifications on this forum that are easy to do and make the TM an even better camping experience.

Good luck.

Phil
Phil, Your response made me smile. My son has a 1975 VW Westfalia which is in great shape that he camps in. I thought you might get a laugh out of this.

Patrice
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
P and B

Patrice- My family owned one of the original VW conversion vans we bought while my dad was stationed in Weisbaden in the early 60's. It wasn't Westphalia per se but might have been a better layout. We brought it back to the US (I was in the 4th grade) and converted it to 12V (from 6V). It went through several engines and transmissions but I eventually inherited it in high school (yes, high school). That camper was everywhere! Heck, when I got rid of it after it's nth engine breakdown, a buddy of mine that was going to VPI saw it in Blacksburg. It had an ARRL sticker in the rear window (that's the Ham Radio association). Lots of memories there I can tell you.

After I married in the late 70's early 80's, my wife and I bought a Westphalia camper. We went on a lot of camping excursions in that thing but had a lot of issues with Volkswagon USA. Somebody hit it on the side and I eventually replaced it with the Rockwood Class C. Still, those vans were great conversions. In our old age though, we like the full hookups, shower and our own facilities in general ;-)

I'm an old Eagle Scout but I'm leaving the "roughing it" to the the grandkid's generation these days. You'll have a great time with the TM.

Phil
Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
Patrice

My son purchased his before his senior year in high school. He absolutely loves it and camps quite a bit in it. I am like you in that I like the AC and other accomodations. Here are a few pics of his.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
M&M Hokie

Smile

Quote:
....was going to VPI saw it in Blacksburg....
Wow, using "VPI" will date you. I graduated from there in 1991 (wife in 1990) and VPI had already been phased out in favor of Virginia Tech when we were there. Go Hokies!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
P and B

Nice shots of the V-dub. Our original opened from the side, not from front to back like your son's. The Westphalia we had opened just like this though. This one looks to be in great shape!

As to "dating myself" well, a cross I'll have to bear I'm afraid! I went to UC in Ohio for undergrad but used to go to Blacksburg and Charlottesville frequently to visit friends I grew up with in NVA that went to school down the way. Beautiful country for sure.

Phil
Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Nice shots of the V-dub. Our original opened from the side, not from front to back like your son's. The Westphalia we had opened just like this though. This one looks to be in great shape!

As to "dating myself" well, a cross I'll have to bear I'm afraid! I went to UC in Ohio for undergrad but used to go to Blacksburg and Charlottesville frequently to visit friends I grew up with in NVA that went to school down the way. Beautiful country for sure.

Phil
When I was a lot younger I had a blue & white one like that. I put a Corvair trans-axle in it and a twin-turbo Buick 3.8L V6 in it so I could tow my 22' fishing boat.

It was more fun towing that thing down the freeway, passing everything in sight with a VW Bus towing that great big boat.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
TM_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Who says that you can't run the propane fridge on the road? We do it all the time (over 40 camp-outs and 15,000 miles).
Does the TM manual say it's ok? With the heat generated and fan needs I'd be shocked if they recommend that. I'd be curious if this is a common practice w TM. I certainly did so with my other trailers.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default 3023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
My husband and I are looking at purchasing a new 3023 Trail Manor and would like some feedback. We have camped for 30 years starting with tent camping. We purchased our first pop up years ago and later moved to a travel trailer only to be flipped by a semi on the interstate, thus moving us back to a pop up. I am afraid to pull big anymore and really like the idea of a trail manor as it looks alot easier to set up than a pop up (not that a pop up is difficult to set up). I really like a lot of the features that a Trail Manor has including the bathroom. I would really like some pros and cons as to what you like with a trail manor and what you don't. I do not know anyone that has one so it is difficult to learn first hand experience. Thanks in advance
We've had 6 RV's over the last 30+ years, and had many RV adventures to go with them. The only one I would never want to travel with again was a 29' travel trailer, because it was a beast to keep on the road (we towed it with a full sized Ford truck, which I also learned to resent because it was so city-incompatible).

The problem with motorhomes is that they are expensive to buy, expensive to drive, and expensive to maintain (tires, oil changes, and that 10 cylinder powerplant quietly rusting out there in the storage lot when it would be a lot happier going to work every day).

The TrailManor is a solid and stable tow, and it lets me keep the vehicle I would otherwise be driving every day.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote