TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
EAKlebe

Default Ford F150 w Factory Tow package, where is the

Can someone tell me where the brake control connector is on a Ford F150 with the Factory tow package? Is it to the right of the steering column? How can I identify it? I believe it may be the gray connector, just above the black one. The location is right of the steering column, above the gas pedal, next to the drive shaft hump. Is this it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010273.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	4735   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010274.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	4736  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't have an F-150, so bear that in mind. But I believe you have found it. It should be under the dash, near the steering column. Check. It should be a connector with no matching connector plugged into it. Check. It should have four wires. Check. The wire colors are traditionally Red (+12 volt supply), Blue (trailer brakes), White (ground), and another smaller wire which is green in your case. The green wire comes from the brake light switch, so you could either follow it physically or put a meter or test light on it, and see if it comes up when you push the brake pedal.

Of course, the ultimate confirmation is that there should be a matching connector with four wires, each about a foot long, with a page of documentation, in a plastic bag in one of the storage compartments of your vehicle. Maybe/maybe not the glove compartment - check under the seats, too. Have you found it?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
MisterP

A quick search on the web for F150 brake controllers found this:

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

I have to retract my initial enthusiasm, mostly because I can't tell whether the connector in your photo has 4-pins in line (which I initially assumed) or 6 pins in a two-rows-of-three configuration. The video in the link posted by MisterP shows a Ford F-150 using a 6-pin gray connector (only 4 pins installed). The connector in the video is identical to the one in my Ford Explorer, which also has only 4 of the 6 pins installed. One would think that all Fords would be the same. Can you tell us what is in your photo?

Bill
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
EAKlebe

I looked at the gray connector using a mirror. It looks (considering that my eyes are getting old) that it is a six pin in two rows of three connector, with only four pins in use, although there may be a fifth pin installed, or it may just be a location pin. It's hard to tell if it is an actual pin or just a plastic location pin. However, there are the proper wire colors going in. As to the factory supplied connector: I bought this truck used about four years ago, if there was such a connector it has been lost or discarded, but no matter as I ordered the wiring harness when I ordered the P3 brake controller.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Jim&Joan

That looks like it. My truck came with a pigtail (connector on the truck side/bare wires on the accessory side). It was in a bag in the glove box. I didn't use it. I bought the harness (connector on the truck side and controller connector on the other side).

I'll try to remember to look later, but I am betting there is only going to be one place that the harness will fit. So, if the glove fits, you must convict.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
I looked at the gray connector using a mirror. It looks (considering that my eyes are getting old) that it is a six pin in two rows of three connector, with only four pins in use, although there may be a fifth pin installed, or it may just be a location pin. It's hard to tell if it is an actual pin or just a plastic location pin. However, there are the proper wire colors going in. As to the factory supplied connector: I bought this truck used about four years ago, if there was such a connector it has been lost or discarded, but no matter as I ordered the wiring harness when I ordered the P3 brake controller.
here's a photo from the front of the connector. It looks like there are five pins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010277.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	4743  
Old 06-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
here's a photo from the front of the connector. It looks like there are five pins
That is a 6-pin connector with 5 pins installed....... You may even find 6-pin connectors with 2-pins installed.........it's still a 6-pin connector.

Manufacturers do that for standardization. If a vehicle is fully loaded with all the options available, that connector may have all 6 pins in it. If the vehicle is a stripped down model, they use the same connector, it just has less pins installed. You may even find empty connectors under your dash. That just means that the wiring harness is ready for some additional option.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
I looked at the gray connector using a mirror. It looks (considering that my eyes are getting old) that it is a six pin in two rows of three connector.
That's it - two-rows-of-three configuration. The controller uses 4 of the installed pins. The fifth installed pin is almost certainly for a light that goes on-off and dims in sync with the dashboard lights. You won't connect anything to it. The red thing at the bottom of the connector body is a retainer for the pins, and can be removed if you really need to (try to avoid doing it). There is no locating pin - the locating/orientation of the connector halves is done via the ridges and matching grooves on the edge of the connector halves.

Bill
Old 07-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
whbob

Default Brake Controller connector

My 09 had the controller from the factory. Inside the glove compartment was the fuse and relay necessary to charge the trailer battery. There was a connector for an alternative controller. The connector is behind the box to the right of the wheel where my factory controller is located. Also had directions titled F-Series, Electrical Trailer Tow Installation Instructions-fairly detailed. Let me know if you need a copy of this.