TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #11
live2shopnc

Default Re:Hitchs/Weight ?

Anyone know the axle rating for the 2720sd?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=live2shopnc link=board=1;threadid=1679;start=msg11908#msg11908 date=1077125164]
Anyone know the axle rating for the 2720sd?
[/quote]
Most likely the same as that for the Dexter axle on my 2002 2720SL: 3500lbs (1750 per side). Check with TM factory (Ed, I believe) to be sure.

Note there is a bit of controversy on this rating. TM contends that the weight of the axle, hubs, etc. is unsprung weight (and should be subtracted) and that the sprung weight of the trailer itself is what actually counts. Dexter says it all counts because the full weight (sprung & unsprung) is being carried at the wheel bearings/tire hub. The difference is around 120 lbs IIRC. My philosophy is to use 3500 lbs as the practical limit and be comforted that there's probably a hundred pounds or so of margin.

Also, not sure where the fresh water tank is on a 2720SD but if it's under the sink as it is on my 2720SL, I found you can have about 200 more pounds on the streetside wheel than the curbside (doorside) wheel if you have the fresh water tank filled, the toilet at initial charge (~3 gallons) and the refrigerator full of food. I used to depart with my fresh water tank full but quit doing so after I had each wheel weighed at an RV Safety Foundation weighin.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #13
live2shopnc

I called TM to find the weights but did't get a "for sure answer". I would have thought they would have known withn a few lbs. what thier trailers weighed and the true loaded weight(water ac ect.) Must say I wasn't very happy with their response. I have found out more here than in the phone calls to TM.